cbr f4i: loud sound of gear engaging in 1st - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

cbr f4i: loud sound of gear engaging in 1st

I have a 01 cbr f4i and i have noticed that while shifting from neutral to 1st there is a rather loud sound when the gear engages. Is this normal?...its quite loud when shifting into second also. I took the bike in and got the clutch adjusted but it still makes a rather loud sound when moving to 1st. Any ideas?

The sound is the normal sound of the gear engaging but it is louder than I am used to. Someone told me that this is typical of a lot of Japanese bikes. Can someone please clarify?
Thanks,
A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:33 AM

Totally normal. Its a side effect of the wet clutch.
When the bike is in nuetral, the clutch doesnt fully disengage. Oil gets in between the plates and makes them stick together. When the bike is in gear, the load on the clutch is sufficient to break that stickage, but not when in nuetral. So when you put it in gear it comes to an abrupt stop, with a loud clank sound. No worries.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to mainerdr
Normal... just start worrying if you are hitting neutral between gears 2-3-4-5(not from lymp shifting).... or the clanking get worse and turns to grinding.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Davecbr6
Got the same bike,bought it new in 2001 and its exactly the same,it has never caused any problems..

Speed limit.....wot speed limit!

www.misskittilingerie.com
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Thank you

Thank you gentlemen for your prompt replies. Put my mind at ease
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 AM

Honda cog boxes are always sort of clunky into first cog.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
Normal... just start worrying if you are hitting neutral between gears 2-3-4-5(not from lymp shifting).... or the clanking get worse and turns to grinding.
I hit neutral between 2-3-4-5-6 sometimes. If I read your post correctly this is not uncommon if the shift is executed weakly, slowly or lymply? Is that correct? It sounds to me that if the bike shifts into neutral instead of the intended gear it can be either a problem with the mechanics of the bike or the mechanics of the rider.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by P The D
I hit neutral between 2-3-4-5-6 sometimes. If I read your post correctly this is not uncommon if the shift is executed weakly, slowly or lymply? Is that correct? It sounds to me that if the bike shifts into neutral instead of the intended gear it can be either a problem with the mechanics of the bike or the mechanics of the rider.
Are you a relatively new rider? It's a common mistake. Happened to me a bit, but you learn how to avoid it. Just make sure you give the lever a good kick when changing. Don't be half-a**ed about it.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Are you a relatively new rider? It's a common mistake. Happened to me a bit, but you learn how to avoid it. Just make sure you give the lever a good kick when changing. Don't be half-a**ed about it.
I am a relatively new rider. I am glad to learn the two reasons behind the loud noise at shifting in 1st and 2nd as well as for hitting neutral between higher geers, both should come in handy in the future for troubleshooting clutch problems and determining if their is indeed a problem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 05:34 PM

PTheD sounds like your shift lever is set to high. So move it down & you will have more solid movement & will not be hitting those neutrals in between gears.

I will be that you do NOT have the same problem shifting DOWN from 6th for you have the power of sort of stomping on the lever-------so move the lever down a bit & then more power/leverage to the foot in up shifiting.

Cooke had the problem, as did some others, & followed my tip so no more trouble since I think.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode