hard to shift on my '05 rebel - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

hard to shift on my '05 rebel

im having hard time shifting gears on my '05 rebel. It's impossible to shift to neutral or 2nd gear (or any gear for that matter) when im not moving. when i start picking up speed, then i can shift up to 2nd gear but its still a little hard to pop it in to 2nd. It's to the point where i have to use alot of ankle strength to push that gear lever up.

i rode a different rebel 250 when i took my MSF course and the gears were really easy to shift. Something wrong with my bike? What can i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 AM

Where did you buy it? If you bought it from a dealer take it right back and have them look at it. If it was a private party deal, can you find a more experienced rider to give it a test ride?

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

i bought it from private party but it only has 500 miles so shouldnt it still be covered under warranty?

also i rode a rbel when i took the MSF class and it was much easier so it's not a noobs mistake.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:36 PM

I don't know if the warranty is transferable, but you should definitely ask the seller where he bought it (you might already know?) and give them a call. If it's as bad as you say, it could be any number of things. Good luck.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:55 PM

Could be the gear change lever is not positioned correctly. Possibly it needs to be lowered down a bit so you are not sort of yanking the gear change lever up.

Is the gear change lever possibly bent & if so look at where it might be binding before it fits on the spline going into the cog box.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:06 PM

Ya know I think this is starting to become a reoccuring problem. When I took my MSF course at the beggining of the year we learned on 05 Rebels. My BRAND NEW 5 mile on the clock Rebel supplied by the MSF was absolutly impossible to shift from first to second, you literatly had to give it a very hard kick and lift up off the seat to get it to shift, I mean a hard kick like kicking a soccer ball, this caused considerable ankle strain. This also was happening to another student in my class.

The instructor gave us new bikes the next day, no problem just a small tap and it shifted like it was supposed to.
Also, my buddy had an 04 rebel and had the same problems, He took it to the dealer and they fixed it. I don't know what the specifics were though. I have also heard at least 6 or 7 stories on the net with people having shifter problems on their rebels. I think Honda has a recall issue on their hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode