Increasing your rear tire size - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Question Increasing your rear tire size

Just a general question that probably has been already answered. I have a 2000 VFR, I wanted to increase the rear tire to a 190 from a 180 which happens to be the correct size for this bike. Can anyone give me the downs when it comes to changing your tire size? I'm not a hard rider, or hard leaner. I basically cruise. Any feedback will be of great help. I am also considering the Avon 45 & 46 st's. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:36 PM

I had a avon 46 as a rear tire in a 190. If you are not a wannabe rossi, this tire is great. The bike will still maintain a considerable lean angle, however it will take more effort to lean it in. Instead of the bike feeling twitchy, it feels like trying to lean it in mollasses. However the grip on the tire is excelent once warm, and it lasts forever.
The only problem I had with it was headshakes when coming out of corners, They were much worse than usual. However it probly had more to do with the fact that my front was still a 014 sportire instead of a milage tire, so the profiles were mismatched.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Honda Moderator

stick with the 180-55... They are cheaper & have better turn in

The only exception is when you would go to a race tire like the Metzeler 190-55, but many times that requires some geometry changes of the bike itself to maintain proper handling etc...

The standard 190-50's just suck ass for turn-in

Last edited by Lord Duckhunter; 07-27-2005 at 06:19 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
I use to have 190 on the rear of my 929 because that was stock and I never had a reason to change from that... but once I started doing trackdays I was told to switch to 180's so I did... now granted I was use to the slower turn in of the 190 and was quite comfortable and new the handling in and out of it.... I eventually grew to love the 180. For me change is hard to transistion with so it took me several trackdays to become accustom to the faster turn in of the 180 - now others may so the difference is so minimal one wouldn't notice.. If you're only doing street riding that will more than likely be true for you...

I say if you're use to your 180 rear stick to it.. there is more tire selection available for the 180's as well compared to the 190

some mistakenly assume because a tire is wider you'll have better turning coverage but in truth it's just the opposite.. that angle on the side of your tire is less dramatic on a fatter tire therefore not having as much contact area available to the road when the bike is leaning... (not sure how to explain it - I'm sure someone else can say it better)

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 06:38 AM

Keep in mind that bertha is more about milage than handling. And 180's cup considerably faster than 190's.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

so far I've seen the same amount of mileage from my old 190's to the 180's ... ? only difference in wear I've seen is the Dunlops uneven wear on the front within 1500 miles... (2 front tires did this back to back) heard of others with 929 say the same thing... all other brands no problem

I always thought cupping had to do with improper wearing due to low tire pressure??

E.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:08 AM

Assuming tire pressure is correct, cupping will still occur with mostly streight road riding. The taller 180 tire has a smaller radius (profile) and thus will wear faster.

Track duty is a whole different ball game

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Assuming tire pressure is correct, cupping will still occur with mostly streight road riding. The taller 180 tire has a smaller radius (profile) and thus will wear faster.

Track duty is a whole different ball game
wear faster possibly appear as such since the higher profile would make it more noticable... but the result should be in a flat look... not cupping as for miles to miles... I've had the same on both sizes - comparing brand for brand ofcourse ... I've had thousands and thousands of straight miles to include the dragstrip and no cupping of my 180 rear tire... in fact I'm just starting to see the sign of the wear marks in the tread and it's a nice smooth flat wear across the top surface of the tire... (and no I do NOT do burnouts to warm up my tire)

I wonder what the tire makers would have to say... what their comment would be on how one wears compared to the other? If they've ever tested them in a controlled enviroment to see... ?

E.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:39 AM

Hmm... I always thought the the flat spot was called cupping... (not like car tire cupping)

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Hmm... I always thought the the flat spot was called cupping... (not like car tire cupping)
I've never heard of a FLAT SPOT refered to as CUPPING - especially since by definition they mean entirely different things

E.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode