Good (bad) vibrations in handlebars - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Good (bad) vibrations in handlebars

I'm having some issues..... '01 CBR 600 F4i. I'm pretty sure I've got the infamous CCTL problem, and the APE manual tensioner is en-route as we speak. However, I'm not sure if that's part of the problem or mere coincidence.

The biggest problem I've got right now is a severe, nay, VERY severe vibration in both handlebars at cruising speeds. It makes no difference how fast I'm going from 25mph on up to 90 mph, unless I'm accellerating or decelerating, the handgrips buzz. The incessant buzzing is causing my fingers to go numb after a half hour of riding. I've tried different gloves, I've tried relaxing the hands as much as humanly possible, supporting all my weight with my thighs and legs, etc, but the simple act of resting my left hand on the grip will cause the tingling to begin after a few minutes. In traffic where I'm on and off the throttle and clutching a lot, it's not a problem, but when traffic clears, I can't ride more then 30 minutes without my fingers going numb.

At first I thought it may have been a drivetrain vibration (i.e. loose chain or similar) but if I squeeze the clutch and let the engine idle, the vibration stops IMMEDIATELY. Revving the engine and holding it with the clutch in causes just the slightest vibration, but not enough that I think it could be causing the numbness. (although it could just be that I'm gripping the clutch lever and it feels different.... not sure)

So..... could the engine be vibrating that badly or be desperately in need of a tune-up with only 5400 miles on it? Is it just a combination of things conspiring against me?

Is there anything at all I can do to remedy this problem?

Thanks, gang!

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode