'02 F4i wont start - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to supermn44
'02 F4i wont start

I dropped my '02 Cbr600f4i last week. I took it to the dealer and they tried to tell me my forks were bent. I knew they were full of it so I picked it up from them and inspected it myself. The forks are not bent! Anyway, it started after i dropped it, but now after sittin for a week it wont start. I tried chargin the battery and it still doesn't start. Im gonna try the spark plugs next. It cranks but it wont fire. Anybody have any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 02:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to jroosterF4i Send a message via Yahoo to jroosterF4i
just out of curiosity, are you hearing the fuel pump whine when you flip the kill switch to on???

The opinions expressed above are those of RoosteR and RoosteR only. By no means would anyone of sane mind and body support, or should adhere to, any of the completely mindless load crap that you've just read.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

no, im not hearing it. i took one of the spark plugs out and it not sparking either.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to jroosterF4i Send a message via Yahoo to jroosterF4i
Ok, using my handy dandy Honda service manual here are the possibilities:

1. Bad fuel pump. Not likely I think
2. Faulty spark plug. I think not!
3. Fouled spark plug. You tell me....
4. Broken or shorted spark plug wires. Could be, but you'd still hear the fuel pump whine.
5. Faulty ignition pulse generator. Once again, fuel pump noise
6. Faulty ignition switch
7. Faulty engine stop switch
8. Loose/disconnected ignitioni system wires
9. Faulty ECM. Let's hope it's not this.

I think I'd start simple on this like you already have. No whine of the fuel pump and no spark. I'd start checking for any loose/disconnected wires if you haven't already. Everything beyond the kill switch sounds pretty expensive to me, especially a faulty ECM, but I don't think that's your problem.

At first I was thinking it might have been your kickstand safety switch was stuck (I've seen this happen), but then I'm sure you don't have it in gear when you're trying to start it. At least I hope not.

Hope I've been a little bit of help to you. I know I haven't completely solved your problem, but hopefully I've at least given you a starting point. I would also try to see if you can Google a wiring schematic for the ignition system. That and a multimeter would be a great help in your troubleshooting the problem. If you don't have a multimeter you can pick up a decent one at Sears for around $20 or so. You don't need anything fancy, an analog one will do you fine.

The opinions expressed above are those of RoosteR and RoosteR only. By no means would anyone of sane mind and body support, or should adhere to, any of the completely mindless load crap that you've just read.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to akcbr
I just had the EXACT same problem on the EXACT same bike...
Try checkin the relays in the tail section, right side (remove rear cowl) these must be plugged in and have clean contacts...there is also a relay in the headlight area (maybe damage if your accident was severe enough to even take it to the garage) the headlight unit MUST be plugged into the bike to complete the circuit for the electrical system.

Did honda have any prob starting it? had they even tried?
Hope this helps

it's not my fault....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

No, I dont think the dealer even tried. I had the entire bike taken apart, but i did plug the headlight back in before i tried to start it and the headlight came on. I didnt have the front turn signals plugged in (don't know if that matters) and i'll try lookin at those relays when I get home from work tonight.
Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

OK guys, I feel like an idiot. The first time I tried to start it I had the headlight plugged in, but after charging the battery I didn't think to plug it back in. That was my problem. Plugged the headlight in and she started right up. I suppose that's why the spark plug didnt spark also.

Oh well...

Thanks for the help
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 02:19 PM

Awesome! glad you got 'er goin

it's not my fault....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to gijoecam Send a message via Yahoo to gijoecam
So here's a random thought... does a burnt out light bulb cause the engine to die? If not, what makes the circuit through the bulb so that the engine knows it's connected and runs?

I should sit down with my shop manual one of these days.....

-Joe
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 03:09 PM

no, it wont...i had both mine burnt out at one time about 50 miles from home..i'd known the highbeam was out..but never used it anyway...then the lowbeam went...it was JUST starting to get dark...i was doing about mach 80 down the highway to get home b4 the darkness fell....there are two relays in the unit that need to be plugged into the bike's main harness to run everything...(the fuel pump)

it's not my fault....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode