Anyone gone from 954 to 919? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Anyone gone from 954 to 919?

Just wondering if any Honda riders out there have gone from a Honda CBR954RR to a CB919? I currently ride a 954 mainly for casual sport riding, commuting, and sport touring. Last year I made it to a Honda Demo Day and got a chance to ride a ST1300 and a CB919. After riding the ST1300 I knew it wasn't the bike for me but I really liked the 919. Ever since the ride(short ride) I've been thinking of trading my bike for the 919. I checked with my insurance company and it is about $350 cheaper a year to insure. Yes, I know it doesn't have the top end of the 954 but I don't find myself using it anyway. But I do enjoy a powerful midrange. Has anyone changed bikes from one to the other? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:32 AM
Honda Moderator

As long as you go into the ownership experience fully aware that the 919 is not a high performance R type bike & don't try to turn it into one you will never regret your purchase.

It is the best all around streetbike I have ever owned & while it can be ridden at the front of the pack on Sunday mornings it has to be ridden at 11/10 to keep it there where as more purebred sportbikes can be ridden at 6/10 to maintain the same pace...

Spending big bucks on premium suspension parts yields very little return on the investment as the chassis & swingarm flex are the weakest links. That's not to say it isn't an awesome bike & a ton of fun, I mean it just begs to be ridden, you'll be thinking up excuses all the time to throw a leg over it, but it ain't no sportbike.

A good set of cans, a PCIII & a quick gearing change (taller not lower) & you're all set to go.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

It sounds as though you really enjoy your 919. The bike just seems to be more comfortable than a 954 for rider and a passenger. My wife will not ride on my 954. Is the 919 okay for two up riding? Have you taken the 919 on any extended trips?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Honda Moderator

I'm recently divorced & had to sell all my bikes except the CBR1000RR as I wanted a narrowly focused track bike more than I needed a good streetbike... I will probably get another 919 or whatever current model replaces/upgrades it this next year

When I had the 919 my wife & I took several day trips on it (350-400 miles). Their is an issue with the exhaust fumes that can encompass the rider & especially the passenger making their clothes stink & even causing Carbon Monoxide poisoning. This is well known problem caused by the low pressure pocket of air behind the rider causing a vacuum & pulling the exhaust fumes up. I never had the problem at all unless I had the saddle bags installed & I have heard the newer version of the Sato exhaust with the smaller cores & longer nozzle almost completely alleviated the condition for others that had complained about it. Even 2 up the thing pulls like a freight train & I routinely still ran at the front of the pack even with the wife on the back. A handful to ride sure, but the leverage on the bars & the awesome stability of the bike made up for the lack of feedback. The bike wallows around a lot, but is very sure-footed overall.

I have personally put some 1300+ mile weekends on it & loved every second of it.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:31 AM

Having been on the same m/c boards that LDH has been on for some yrs I can assure you he really does know m/cs & is as honest as they come, plus being frank with his throughts.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda Moderator

Thumbs up

Cheers Smitty
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 06:17 PM

Darn good to see you here LDH for I know your comments & knowledge will help many a rider on this board.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode