F4i suspension settings - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

F4i suspension settings

I've had lots of bikes but always had service set them to the stiff side when picking up. I didn't do this on my 05 F4i and know its factory set. Can you explain what each of the settings do and how I go about changing them. I'm 5-11 185lbs. The bike actually feels o.k. as is but I haven't been up to the mtns yet where I will mostly ride it on saturdays in the twisties. Its a 60 mile ride to get there so I want it to be comfortable but still good in the twisties. Maybe midway between normal and full hard. Or should I just keep it the way it is? or will I float around in the corners?

Thanks.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 03:55 PM

I am 6'3" - 6'4" and 260 lbs.
My bike was understeering in the twisties, and I stiffened all of the settings ( front preload: 2 clicks stiffer than OEM, front rebound damping: 3 clicks stiffer than OEM, front compression damping: 3 clicks stiffer than OEM; rear preload: 2 clicks stiffer than OEM, rear rebound damping 3 clicks stiffer than OEM, rear compression damping: 3 clicks stiffer than OEM.)
Since these adjustments, the bike is MUCH more responsive in the twisties, and even normal surface street turns.

Since you're considerably less heavy than I, I don't know exactly what you should do, but it has been my experience that the stiffer the suspension, the more responsive the bike is in turns.

I was so happy with the adjustments I made, I think I will stiffen both pre-load settings another 2 or 3 clicks, while leaving the damping settings alone.

As far as comfort on your way to the twisties, I haven't suffered any loss of comfort, but again, I am considerably heavier than yourself, so I can't tell you definitively whether or not you would lose any comfort if you were to stiffen the settings as I have.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode