larger rear tire for '86 vfr750 interceptor? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

larger rear tire for '86 vfr750 interceptor?

hey guys,

happy new year!! last month, i got my first bike. got a good deal on a gently used 1986 vfr150f interceptor, and i'm having a great time riding it here in sunny san diego. getting tired of looking at that weenie rear tire, though. i read that they came originally with a 130. mine has a dunlopj 140/75/18. a few weeks ago, i read an another forum, but can't seem to find it, that upto a 160/60/18 can be safely used, but no more due to the swing arm and chain guard restrictions. this looks a bit close to me. i was wondering if anyone has any input or firsthand knowledge they'd be willing to share. i'd really appreciate the enlightenment. thanks, guys, and enjoy the holidays.

bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 07:49 PM

Changing the rear tire will change how the bike handles. It will become less "flickable". Why do you want to change the rear tire?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

quick,

thanks for the speedy reply. it's a beefy bike. i want a meatier back tire. the larger tires look cool, too. i don't want to be so extreme as some of those speed deamons out there. their wheels are wider than a lot of family sedans! just thought i'd like a little more rubber under me.

bryan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:48 PM

Your rear wheel rim might be able to handle a 140 though best to ask a parts man at a m/c shop familiar with your make, yr & model.

Anything larger might be touch & go for in those days the broad rear tyres were not in the mind of the engineers so narrow wheel rims & not to much gap through the s/arm along with chain & chain guards.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:18 PM

VFR tire

That's probably a 3.5 inch rim on the rear of that bike. I wouldn't go wider than the 140 size tire you already have on there. Any more, and you are really pinching (literally squeezing together) the tire on that narrow rim. That'll make for some really wonky handling.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

zxrider,

i think that's the answer i'm looking for. not that i want it, but i suspected as much. as far as width, 160 is about as close as is't gonna get. the rim is a 3.5 x 18, so i might have to upgrade. i have fun with this bike and want to update the looks.

anyway, thanks a bunch for your input. good luck and safe riding.

bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode