ready for a 600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

ready for a 600

I currently have a 2002 ninja 500r which has seen 3 riding seasons and I'm feeling the need for a 600. Not just for more power but better handling and bigger tires. I'm probably going to sell the 500 for about 5k canadian, and buy either a used 01-02 zx6r if i can find one decently priced, or a 99-2000 cbr F4 as i've seen lots of them being sold for like 6-7k.

i haven't seen a lot of threads about 99-00 models and was just wondering if there's anything i should know about them or what would make you pick them over the zx6r. i love the red and black coloring scheme (which my 500 has) and I hear cbrs are comfy?

actually a better question i should ask if there's any specific cbr websites like how there's a www.gixxer.com and www.zx6r.com.

thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 03:52 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
As far as comfort, the F4 is WAY better than any of the F4i's. My guess is it's because of the single seat design. The F4 is the bike I (and my wife as well) learned to ride on. It was very forgiving to a beginner but also had plenty of get-up-and-go once the beginner stage is past. With three years under your belt I think you would absolutely love this bike. When my wife started riding the F4 I had an XX, but after riding the XX I realized I had more fun on the F4. It was just a great all around bike. Good for long rides, very fun in the twisty stuff, and even hit the giggle button quite often in the straights.

The only problem I know of with them is the Cam Chain Tensioner's (CCT) seem to go bad, but that is pretty common with CBR's from what I gather in my reading. After three years ours was starting to go out but the bike was stolen before we could get it fixed. Other than that the thing was bulletproof and never gave us any trouble.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the ZX6, other than personal fit. None of the Ninja's fit me very well, but the F4 fit like a glove. I'm 6'2" though, so if you're shorter I would imagine both will fit well. Then it becomes pretty much personal choice.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 06:10 AM

Re: ready for a 600

Quote:
Originally posted by Twitch242
I currently have a 2002 ninja 500r which has seen 3 riding seasons and I'm feeling the need for a 600. Not just for more power but better handling and bigger tires. I'm probably going to sell the 500 for about 5k canadian, and buy either a used 01-02 zx6r if i can find one decently priced, or a 99-2000 cbr F4 as i've seen lots of them being sold for like 6-7k.

i haven't seen a lot of threads about 99-00 models and was just wondering if there's anything i should know about them or what would make you pick them over the zx6r. i love the red and black coloring scheme (which my 500 has) and I hear cbrs are comfy?

actually a better question i should ask if there's any specific cbr websites like how there's a www.gixxer.com and www.zx6r.com.

thanks for your help
Here ya go.... I like this one a lot:

CBRWorld

The beatings will continue until morale improves

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:18 AM

F4i gets my approval. Loved mine, pretty comfy, handled great, no continuing issues.
Ridden a ZX-6E...nice and smooth and great for touring but otherwise very loose and sluggish feeling.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by vigis
F4i gets my approval. Loved mine, pretty comfy, handled great, no continuing issues.
Ridden a ZX-6E...nice and smooth and great for touring but otherwise very loose and sluggish feeling.
That's prety acccurate.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 04:01 AM

I just bought an F4. I have not owned a Zx6r but I've ridden one a couple times. both of them were 2001 and in my opinion very uncomfy compared to my F4. Riding position is a little bit more aggressive and didn't like the handling. F4 has all the power I need and good all around fun bike to ride. You can find a good F4 around $5000. I bought a 2000, immaculate shape, 4000 miles and payed $4650.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 04:05 AM

My buddy bought this 2000 F4 from my Dad fully set up for $5500 US. Excellent bike!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oct 5 2003 002 (2).jpg (385.7 KB, 176 views)

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 11:56 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by ssallber
My buddy bought this 2000 F4 from my Dad fully set up for $5500 US. Excellent bike!!!
Damn I miss our F4, those things are bad ass! The yellow one is the best....

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 07:28 PM

Here's a few websites I have found on the CBR's:
http://www.cbr600f4.com/
http://www.cbr600rr.com/

:gotnos:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 08:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to sisqo
Hey man, either of your chosen options are good pick's. But, I think the F4 or F4I would be alot more user friendly for what you are wanting and needing. The honda has plenty of power that turns on and off very smoothly with a twist of the throttle and still manages to retain flexability/learning room for the learning rider. You have chosen a better learning path then I did when I started riding sport and you will benefit from this tremendously. You are on the right road bro, follow your instincts, they have been role model material for others to follow and pursue....including yourself . Good luck and welcome to a hobby that you wont soon forget .

Jason

You have the right to remain silent and errrm open your legs furrr me. -drunk friend and oblivious female-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode