Anyone tricked out a VTR250??? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 04:58 PM

Just got the bike wieghed to see where she sits with new bodywork and a set of "one off" Tommy Crawford chambers...tips the scale at 262 with a half tank of gas. Should have her on the dyno in a few weeks to fine tune.

ZZZZZZIIIIING!

I cant say I would expect a quarter litre 4 stroke to keep up on a straight...but I would imagine the VTR in particular would hold pretty good cornerspeed. Looks to have a better geometry and lighter wieght than the EX250. With the right setup and a good rider, most would be suprised at what a bike can do ! I have an 86 VF1000R ...630 pounds and tourqe from hell. I have a nicely tuned front end and I tell ya...I cant fathom draging my knees on that thing !!! The very idea unnerves me... BUT...Fast freddy did it with ease back then...

I would be interested in seing what one of the litle V twin 4 strokes could do.

Dirk
A monkey can go fast in a straight line.....when they can drag thier knees...I'll be impressed!
00 CBR929rr
92 NC30
92 NSR250se
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Duckhunter
This is an excellent example of a person not knowing what the hell they are talking about pretending to be an expert.

I have not only owned & built more than half a dozen VTR250's, but just recently sold my Aprilia 250gp bike so I am well versed in what comparisons I can make. In additon I work on everything from Turbo Hayabusa's to 900RR's to Gixxers to my beloved RC51 & can explicitly state that I am a fairly good judge of what a bike is capable both in terms of outright engine performance & road handling characteristics. In the right package the "light is right" concept is way more important than pure horsepower.

I can assure that the 4 stroke VTR250 even with stock suspension is more than a match for many of the larger bikes. The cornerspeed you can carry on these is almost rediculous & your comment about dragging hard parts is total BS. Had you ever ridden a VTR250 especiallly one with a 140 section rear tire you would know that you can literally lean one down until the foot pegs fold completely up & still won't touch any hard parts of the bike on the asphalt.

I'm not here to tell you that a VTR250 is going to smoke a CBR600 in a straight line, but I will tell you that if you don'ttake them seriously that from stoplight to stoplight the little bike with a good launch will give the bigger bikes pure hell. Add to that the fact that you can weave in & out of the lines on the road at 80mph without ever touching one & you have a very nimble little bike that can take just about any line it wants to through the twisties.
Terribly sorry to have ever questioned your expertise. I find it funny that you have no clue who I am or anything about me, yet you accuse me of not knowing anything about bikes. Glad to know you are so knowledgable about bikes, you definately have worked on some beauties from the sounds of it. But that doesn't mean you are an expert. Nor does that mean you have any clue what you are talking about. I know many mechanics that can't slap their ass with both hands, yet still find a way to maintain a job. So your "resume" doesn't impress me. I too have been working on bikes for over 20 years. Been riding for over 25 years. I have also been working on race bikes for the last few years. I guess in all that time I didn't learn anything, bummer.

Yes, I have ridden a few different VTRs. I have helped a few friends learn to ride on VTRs. Anytime you want to take you VTR to the track let me know and we will see how big and bad those bikes are. If they are such great race bikes, I wonder why no one races them. Tell you what, to make it a better comparison, you can ride you "souped up VTR" and I will find something smaller like a GS500 or maybe an EX500. Stoplight to stoplight? Are you kidding? In reality, a VTR is a great starter bike and even makes a hellluva commuter. But if you are looking for something to go dancing through the canyons, there are much better bikes out there. I will be sitting back waiting for Nicky Haden to start racing the new VTR250 gp bike.

On a side note, you do have a very nice RC51. One of the many bikes I would like in my collection. Hopefully someday.

Kerry

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring!"

http://www.cbrrr.net

Last edited by Rand McNally; 03-13-2003 at 04:55 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 05:46 AM
Honda Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rand McNally
Anytime you want to take you VTR to the track let me know and we will see how big and bad those bikes are. If they are such great race bikes, I wonder why no one races them. Tell you what, to make it a better comparison, you can ride you "souped up VTR" and I will find something smaller like a GS500 or maybe an EX500. Stoplight to stoplight? Are you kidding? Live in you fantasy world. In reality, a VTR is a great starter bike and even makes a hellluva commuter. But if you are looking for something to go dancing through the canyons, there are much better bikes out there. I will be sitting back waiting for Nicky Haden to start racing the new VTR250 gp bike.

There are still several on the race tracks, but the #1 reason you don't see many of them being raced is because they were only made for 3 years (89-90) add to that the classes for 250cc 4 stroke machines are few & far between to begin with & you simply aren't going to see a whole lot of them on the track, hell you don't even see very many of them on the street.

Your challenge on the racetrack is totally uncalled for as is your spew that there are better bikes out there for canyon carving. Just because you prefer a larger more powerful bike does not mean everyone feels the same.

As for your statement that a VTR250 makes a great starter bike. Well I have disagree to a certain extent. Replacement parts are both very rare & very expensive, furthermore the handling of the bike is so quick that it is very disillusioning to new riders & can easily catch them out. The GS500, EX500 or SV650 would be more appropriate examples of "good" starter bikes as the VTR250's allow the rider to do things on the roads that larger bikes simply cannot do. Do the math on the power to weight & you will find that the VTR250 is 1:10, the GS500 is 1:8 & the EX500 is 1:7 all pretty close to striking distance within each other where a better launch from the light can make all the difference. To discount the bikes ability merely based on size shows a firm lack of experience in this arena.

It should also be noted that you can drop an additional 10lbs off the VTR250 by removing the steel brackety that supports the turn signals, even more if you are removing the passenger pegs etc... Aftermarket exhausts reduce weight even further, but the same holds true for the GS & EX so all in all the ratios remain fairly constant in relation to each other.

In closing I will say after having tuned the carbs on all those models of bikes for years that due to the restrictive nature of the Honda tuning on the VTR250 it responds the best in terms of increasing engine performance with jetting, exhaust & airbox mods. I've gained as much as 6hp over stock tuning a VTR250 & the power curve remains linear whereas I can also get 5-6hp out of an EX500 with a stage III kit, but the power curve isn't quite as good in some areas as it was before.

We've probably spent more energy arguing the merits of these bikes than they make in horsepower, but it has been mildly entertaining.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Honda Moderator

Resurrection! After 13 years I decided to build up another VTR250

Sure is welcome change to the big bikes I have been throwin around for the last decade

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Strength and Honor

One thing's for certain. No cage driver could possibly claim, "I just didn't see him."

Welcome back.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda Moderator

Spiegler Brake Line fitted and some more scenic pics

Still to come will be the lightened flywheel, the tank painted black & I scored some OEM Japanese Spec flushmounts that mount in the upper fairing like these:

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda Moderator

The mods continue

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM

That's an awesome bike! Thanks for keeping the forum alive.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda Moderator

Still working on it

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Strength and Honor

Those flush mounts I've never seen before. They look great! And I really like the can on it.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode