f4i noise??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Red face f4i noise???

Thanks in advance for your reply. I just got a new f4i and I love the thing. There is one thing that has me scrathing my head. When I reach about 9 to 10K rpm, I hear a rattle in the engine it seems. Only from 9 on up. The power is still there and it seems fine. Does anybody have any ideas as to what this might be.
Cowboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 02:22 AM

well i don't know what it is, but i have the same noise in my 02. from 9500 to 10500rpm there is a strange buzz but goes away and is smooth above or below this rev range. i am clueless as well.

later
chris
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 04:11 AM

f4i noise???

It may be the cam chain tensioner (CCT). I have heard something about this being a problem on the '01-02 F4i's. You might search this forum of cbrworld.net for more info.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 04:52 AM

My '02 does it too. Only it seems to be at around 5-6K, then it is fine. It seems to be worse when it is warming up. I don't know if it is the same sound as yours. It seems like it is coming from the engine area or front of the bike somewhere?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 05:53 AM

Lightbulb Noise

Yea, I had that noise as well. Started form 4800 till about 6000. When I took it in to the dealer, they had discovered it was the Cam Chain Tensioner. It sounds like a loose key chain was hitting the triple tree, for lack of a better description. But all is well, it was replaced under warranty. There have been numberous cases about this, Cycle World did a piece in their reader responses area, and it should easily be resolved. Good Luck!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 06:46 AM

Thanks, I'll take it out to the dealer, that exactly describes my problem. Can this problem cause any damage to anything if left unchecked, or is just more of an annoyance? I have been riding with it for over 4000 miles.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 08:23 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Liggy11
Thanks, I'll take it out to the dealer, that exactly describes my problem. Can this problem cause any damage to anything if left unchecked, or is just more of an annoyance? I have been riding with it for over 4000 miles.
Not too sure if it would cause any additional problem except for the fact that you hear it all the time. But that sound isn't supposed to be there so if left unchecked you could be asking for some future damage down the road That is covered under WARRANTY so there shouldn't give you any headaches. I just had to wait for mine CCT since the product was backordered for about 3 weeks. But everything is fine now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 11:22 PM

I would say that it is probably almost 100% the cam chain tensioner. I had the same exact noises everyone else is describing in my 02', and it was the tensioner. Quick couple of days at the dealer, and it was as good as new. THe service is covered under your warranty.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 09:13 PM

I had the same problem on my f4i. I replaced the auto cct with a manual one and that solved the problem. No more rattling. From what I heard Just by replacing it under waranty with a new auto cct does not actually fix it. In my opinion I think that the defect comes in the actually auto cct, and not in the engine anywhere.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 03:03 AM

Same problem on my '01 F4i, twice! The first time it was the CCT. 5,000 miles late the dealership ended up replacing the CCT, cam chain, CCT guide, gaskets, and ended up doing a valve job too. Now she is like brand new

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode