air/fuel ratio on F4i - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

air/fuel ratio on F4i

Simple question that I don't want to assume the answer to- when you change the exhaust on an F4i do you need to re-calibrate the fuel curves or is there an oxygen sensor or some other sensor that automatically compensates for it? No need for senseless damaging of my motor out of ignorance, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:13 AM
Honda Moderator

I believe the California version of the F4i does have an O2 sensor as does the 929 Ca version, but it is for all practical purposes worthless as it's range in the closed loop cycle is extremely limited & does not compensate for all external variables like a true closed loop Fi system.

A regular open loop sysem (49 state models) has no idea whatsoever that you have even put an exhaust on the bike & will not change anything to adapt to it.

The F4i is very rich from the factory so in all sincerity it will only get better as the freer flowing exhaust leans out the the mixture a little, but if you are really serious about your tuning then you need to get a PCIII or a PCIIIr & obtain a mapping created by an experienced dyno 250 tuner.

In fact you will find that the Powercommander alone will make a much more prominent change in the power delivery of your bike than an exhaust alone will. However they are best used together as a package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode