1998 vfr, need opinions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Question 1998 vfr, need opinions

I am considering making the purchase of a 1998 VFR, I currently have a 1999 CBR and need opinions of this bike in general. I know everyone has opinions, so I am expecting good and bad.

The bike in consideration is a 1998 VFR with 13000 miles at a price of $6000.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 10:28 PM

Thumbs up

Kathy, for me, I think the '98-01 VFR is one of the most beautiful machines ever built from Honda. It's the last year for the gear driven cams(they make the sweetist wine). The VFR sounds so sweet with just about any aftermarket exhaust, I'd go for the Austrailian Staintune or perhaps a Micron or even a Two Bros(in that order). The VFR offers a broader spread of torque than the 600. Ya don't have to scream it to get it go'in like the 600. And it's fuel injected, the first year for the VFR. If I were you and was in the market and for that price, OH WOW! CRUD! I'd go for it. I believe the '98-01 VFR to be the most well rounded, well thought out motorcycle out there. I just wish that Honda made an 1100!
Grab this machine, you'll never regret it, out grow it or even get tired of it.

Last edited by HurricaneXX; 09-21-2002 at 10:33 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Smile Yup

I agree. The VFR is one beautiful machine. I got mine new in 99. Never thought twice about another bike. Great bike, even for my 6'5" frame. Good comfort on long trips. Love the growl that it makes as I scoot down the highway. It will keep up with some of the bigger bikes out there, just not like a Busa of course. I have a Two Brothers High Mount Slip On on mine. Sounds awesome! I would recommend getting the bike. Like I said, very comfy and a good bike all around. Hope this helps some.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Thank you HurricaneXX and Jester for your replies.

Husband and I were looking at how to lower the bike for me. I am 5' 4" and I would need it lowered or have a 240 lb. man sitting on the back of it at all times for me to ride comfortably. I have decided to not purchase this bike. I would like to move up from the 600 but not now.

Thanks again for the opinions.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 12:28 PM

If you decide to move up later, I can make you a sweet deal on a '98 VTR 996.

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:34 PM

To bad I think you may have missd out on one of the most well balanced bikes out there. I just love my '95 VFR even though it's only 750. but it goes like scoot for me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 04:53 AM

Talking I can help you...

I weigh about 235... If you need some one to just sit on the back of your bike... I'll do it...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Well, bigD808 thanks for the offer. I ride every chance I get, so be ready!

Never know in the spring, I might re-consider it and the bike still might be there.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 11:42 PM

I bought a 94 VFR back in 96 and put almost 45k on it in 3 years. I was riding from Tampa to Atlanta twice a month and never had a problem with a single thing. I took it in for a valve adjustment at 35k and they were all within tolerance. I had a 2 Bros. left side full system (the wheel and swingarm look sweet all exposed like that) and it sounds real good when you let it breath a little. I rode with a 900rr and a Gix 750 through the Ga. mountains on a regular basis and the only time they could lose me was in a straight line at speeds over 140. I know mine was a little older than the 98 but the performance and ease of operation I think is similar. If I had the money I'd own another one right now.....Josh T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode