Inverted Forks???? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Inverted Forks????

I have been hearing the term "Inverted forks" being used when talking about the new CBR 600. What exactly does this term mean. I have been trying to picture it but haven't quite got a grip on it. Can someone please clear this up. I may be trading my 99 F4 on the new F5 or CBR 600 RR or whatever it's going to be called.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 04:39 PM

up or down

seals on top or on the bottom -to be basic
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 07:21 PM

Inverted forks have the valves and fluid chamber on the top, rather then on the bottom. This reduces the amount of unsprung weight by moving the weight to the sprung end. This improves suspension response, because there is less mass, and there for less inertia to overcome, when the suspension must move. Also, its not like you can just take your forks off and flip em over, just so you know.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Also, its not like you can just take your forks off and flip em over, just so you know.
CRAP!! you couldn't have told me that an hour ago, how the hell am I going to fix this?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 09:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO

CRAP!! you couldn't have told me that an hour ago, how the hell am I going to fix this?
LMAO... this is funny on SO many levels... but, in this case, don't take the term, "rubber side down" too literally.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:37 PM

Gee, I don't know, I inverted the forks on my CBR one time. Just for about half a second though then they fliped back over. Is the new CBR going to have upsidedown forks? Thought I read that Honda wasn't going to flip them for the 600.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
Inverted forks have the valves and fluid chamber on the top, rather then on the bottom. This reduces the amount of unsprung weight by moving the weight to the sprung end. This improves suspension response, because there is less mass, and there for less inertia to overcome, when the suspension must move. Also, its not like you can just take your forks off and flip em over, just so you know.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the detail. I've only been riding for 3 years, I obviously have alot to learn. Thanks again!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seebeearsenal

I've only been riding for 3 years, I obviously have alot to learn. Thanks again!

I've only been riding for 1 year. Its not a question of time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the other big advantage to inverted forks is they don't flex as bad. the big disadvantage is in crashes they tend to bend frames easier...

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode