gonna fumble my way through an oil change - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

gonna fumble my way through an oil change

well, i have to take all the plastic off tomorrow anyway so the damn DMV can look at some motor code to let me license my bike in their state, so i figure i'll change the oil while i'm at it.

i've never changed the oil on a bike before. i heard 5 quarts? Is there just some drain plug hidden under there somewhere? I have never looked.

i'm an idiot... so tell me if these steps are right.

1. take plastic off
2. drain through plug thing
3. change filter
4. fill

hows that?

what oil? synthetic? It is 105-115 degrees where i live now, so what weight oil? and does car vs. motorcycle oil even matter one bit? I thought i saw a specific kind for bikes, but i figured it was just overpriced auto oil.

and what kind of chain oil do you guys use? i've had the bike for 2.5k miles and i need to do some upkeep.

flame if you must, i don't really care. But if someone wants to help, please do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 11:10 PM

The oils are different for bikes and cars. Go to the local shop and get whatever weight they reccomend. Change the filter too!! It is a very easy job and it should only be about 3 1/3 qts or maybe a little more for your bike, not sure. I usually run the bike for a few minutes then drain it, oil is not too hot and comes out a lot faster. Do not torque the hell out of the plug!!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 06:02 AM

Re: gonna fumble my way through an oil change

Quote:
Originally posted by viocurse
i've never changed the oil on a bike before. i heard 5 quarts?
More like 3 quarts. Your owner's manual will tell you how much, how often, and what kind. The synthetic/dinosaur debate has become religious, so I won't even offer an opinion.
Quote:

1. take plastic off
2. drain through plug thing
3. change filter
4. fill
The drain plug is sealed with an aluminum crush washer, probably 12mm, that should be replaced each time. Get a new one at your dealer. When installing the plug with a new washer, tighten enough to crush the washer but not much more. Use a torque wrench and follow the spec in the manual to get it right.

The filter is most easily removed and installed with a special oil filter wrench. Get one at your dealer. Before installing the new filter, wipe clean the sealing surface on the engine and coat the O-ring with fresh oil. Do not overtighten the filter or you'll have a helluva time getting it off. Again, use a torque wrench to get it right. It should be only a little more than hand tight.
Quote:
what kind of chain oil do you guys use?
I use Pro Honda, but there are plenty of other good products out there. Again, a religious issue.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 06:51 AM

I'm about to do an oil change to, does the filter look like a car filter or is it square with fins, keep in mind I have an 84 cb750ss. also is the drain plug directly on the bottom of the engine or is itoff to the side like on a cars pan?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the f2 was 4 quarters when doing the filter. everything else pretty much covers it. just don't over-tighten stuff.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

sorry data dan, but money is tight (thats why i ride a bike, i don't have a car) cause rent costs money. The bike didn't come with the manuel. I'll buy a new washer and filter, but i don't have a torque wrench or any of that. I have pliers though! and i'm sure my roomate has channel locks. Moved out about 2 months ago so I can't use daddies tools anymore (he's 1400 miles away), haha, starting my own colection.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna go take her clothes off and drive to the DMV to get my AZ plates. BTW, did you guys get all excited when you passed emmisions too? 1st time in my life I had to do it because washington is slack in that respect. I was worried about not passing because the guy that tuned my carbs said he left them rich for when it finally cools down. i thought for sure i would fail... but no. 1011 hydrocarbons ppm, 2.27% carbon monoxide.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
I'm about to do an oil change to, does the filter look like a car filter or is it square with fins, keep in mind I have an 84 cb750ss. also is the drain plug directly on the bottom of the engine or is itoff to the side like on a cars pan?
I'm not sure what bike have because American Honda didn't import a 1984 CB750. If it's the older style DOHC four (the same basic design as the CB900 and CB1100) the oil filter is enclosed in the finned cast aluminum cartridge on the front of the engine. I don't remember where the drain plug is.

If it's the newer Nighthawk S engine, the filter is in the same location but is the simpler spin-on type, similar to that on the original poster's CBR.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 09:49 AM

Don't use pliers. Borrow proper wrench or socket, even torque wrench is good idea.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 10:16 AM

ya know many people have told me they didn't make an 84 cb750f supersport, but I have one, it has a kilometer speedometer which is annoying as all hell to look at, so it must have been imported by canada. yes thank you for the advise on the filter I know exactly what it is now, thats why I asked if it was square and finned.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 10:25 AM

Hey silent...
CB750F, Supersport
there may be one of those rarities in Yellowknife. I see it around from time to time. Looks good mechanically, original paint & glass though - it is pretty faded. Blue. Could be wrong on the year but is close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode