Where are you at RCJOHN..Have a Question. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Where are you at RCJOHN..Have a Question.

What is the deal with flapper valve removal on RC51's. Will this single procedure give better engine performance, or will I need to add exhaust, and fuel management to make it work. I know all the links on the web, but I want first hand experience, and opinions.

Last edited by maley2000; 07-31-2002 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 06:34 PM
Honda Moderator

It just lets the bike breathe like it's supposed to throughout the entire rpm range.

All in all it's not much of a mod & the significance is small because we are still restricted by the emissions controls on the ECU & even with a PCII or PCIIIr we still aren't getting a 100% optimal mapping just simply because of EPA BS, however every little bit helps & since it is free & only takes 30 seconds to do, I suggest you just do it... I mean in the time it took you to type this thread up you could have already done it.

In truth most people can't tell the difference as it is barely detectable on the dyno, but the placebo effect works wonders for their imagination & some people claim that it gives them boost like performance which is BS too, but hey the mod does work...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:14 AM

LOL! What Mike said.

I have done the mod but I did it with several things since I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The advantage I see is that is takes unnecessary components off of the bike and cleans things up a little. I remove it with all of the PAIR valve crap. This got rid of some weight and a few feet of tubing.

Anyone that says it adds noticable performance gains with that mod alone is totally full of shit or is getting totally shafted by HRC by letting Colin ride the factory bike instead of them.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Ok, but my next question is

will my stock ECU freak out if the flapper valve is removed. I know that exhaust mods sometimes piss them off, and removal of emissions stuff will do the same. I will wait until I have a PCII or PCIII to complete the job if that is what it will take. I am hoping that this is not the case. I appreciate the help

Last edited by maley2000; 08-01-2002 at 06:36 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 06:36 AM

Re: Ok, but my next question is

Quote:
Originally posted by maley2000
will my stock ECU freak out if the flapper valve is removed. I know that exhaust mods sometimes piss them off, and removal of emissions stuff will do the same. I will wait until I have a PCII or PCIII to complete the job if that is what it will take. I am hoping that this is not the case.
I don't think the flapper removal causes any problems with the ECU. Actually, I believe it helps with the stock ECU when view on the dyno.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Ok, but my next question is

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn

I don't think the flapper removal causes any problems with the ECU. Actually, I believe it helps with the stock ECU when view on the dyno.
COOL
I'm off to get my tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode