Virbations on a '97 CBR600 F3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Virbations on a '97 CBR600 F3

Posted this on the newbie forum and was told to come here....

Anyway, just got into biking and after doing the MSF course, bought my bro's CBR600F3 - sweet bike in good condition with just under 10k on the clock.

I rode it back from MI to NY and everything was cool until I got back home and I can now hear this vibration which I'm sure is coming from some part of the engine (I'm no mechanic!) when in a specific rev range.

It's basically in gears 1 to 4 between 4 and 5000 revs - under, over or at a contant speed, you can't hear a thing. It's only under acceleration and gradual at that (not slow but not opening it up fully either)

Sorry if I'm sounding like a dumbass but if anybody's had similar problems, let me know.... or alternatively, let me know the location of the Manhattan Honda dealership.

Thanks guys (&girls)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 12:49 AM

Not that im any kind of mechanic either but to my knowledge something like that i think has to do with carbeuration. You need to have then cleaned and sync'd. If it hasnt had service in a while you might as well get the valves checked and adjusted if they think it needs it. But valves can be expensive so if its been a while since its had any major service then get a major service done to it which will include the valve job and such. One way to check if the carbs need work is to put your hand on the bars and rev it to each rpm range and feel the vibrations grow stronger. You'll notice vibrations strong around the range you mentioned and then smoother afterwards. A mechanic showed me this and then i had the carbs cleaned and sync'd as well as a valve job which didnt need to be done. Much smoother afterwards.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 06:20 AM

Sounds like it could be the dreaded CCT (cam chain tensioner).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Now you've got me going - is the cam belt tensioner really that bad ?!

I've found a Honda dealership in Queens so I think I'll stop in tomorrow and have them check it out.

Bye, bye money.....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 11:46 AM

No, it should be about 150 tops just make sure if that is the problem that they use the latest part J22. Could be normal or maybe just the fairing vibrating.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 03:04 AM

Like i said when i read the book it seemed easy enough to check the tensioner yourself assuming your qualified to know if it looks ok or not. I'll look at my book when i get a chance and quote it for you. I dont have any pictures to supply though.. i think it was doogle who helped me out in the past.. cant remember his user name.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 03:04 AM

oops

Last edited by NemesisCBR; 07-28-2002 at 11:37 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot - much appreciated !
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 05:24 PM

Re: Virbations on a '97 CBR600 F3

Quote:
Originally posted by magia
Posted this on the newbie forum and was told to come here....

Anyway, just got into biking and after doing the MSF course, bought my bro's CBR600F3 - sweet bike in good condition with just under 10k on the clock.

I rode it back from MI to NY and everything was cool until I got back home and I can now hear this vibration which I'm sure is coming from some part of the engine (I'm no mechanic!) when in a specific rev range.

It's basically in gears 1 to 4 between 4 and 5000 revs - under, over or at a contant speed, you can't hear a thing. It's only under acceleration and gradual at that (not slow but not opening it up fully either)

Sorry if I'm sounding like a dumbass but if anybody's had similar problems, let me know.... or alternatively, let me know the location of the Manhattan Honda dealership.

Thanks guys (&girls)

if it bothers you that much, I will gladly take it off your hands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode