XX getting hot in traffic - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

XX getting hot in traffic

I'm new to this board, and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing any CBR 1100's getting hot while in traffic or sitting still? Slowing down in a traffic jam, I can watch the temperature gauge go up. I'll bet it jumps up a degree almost every second. The fan seems to come on at about 215. I'd sure like it to come on around 195 instead. Is anyone else out there experiencing this or is it just me? LOL!

The fan doesn't seem to control the temperature very well until I get the bike rolling again.

Now I don't want to ride my scoot to work for fear of getting stuck in traffic, and or sitting at a traffic light that doesn't seem to know I'm there because I don't have enough steel for the coils in the pavement to trigger the light.

Is there any sort of surfactant out there that I could add in the cooling system, or an adjustable fan switch or both? One of these days I think I'm gonna just see a mass of melted aluminum where the engine used to be.

Just trying to keep my girl cooler.

Silverbird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 05:43 AM
Honda Moderator

Dude what do you expect??? You're riding a motorcycle in stop & go traffic that is wrapped completely in aerodynamic plastic, designed entirely under the premise that it would be in motion utilizing both low pressure & high pressure airflow simultaneously for proper cooling effect of not only the radiator, but the engine compartment as well...

You can change your glycol mixture or you can use something like Engine Ice to help as well, but those things only lower the running temps very slightly.

I suggest you install a switch so that you can manually turn the radiator fan on anytime you know you are going to be in some heavy traffic. All you have to do is run a wire from the ground side of the fan (same pole that the wire from the radiator runs to) then place a switch inline & ground to a part of the bike frame.

Just make sure you leave the radiator ground wiring in tact so that the rad switch will still work just like normal & kick on at 215 degrees.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Duckhunter
Dude what do you expect??? You're riding a motorcycle in stop & go traffic that is wrapped completely in aerodynamic plastic, designed entirely under the premise that it would be in motion utilizing both low pressure & high pressure airflow simultaneously for proper cooling effect of not only the radiator, but the engine compartment as well...

You can change your glycol mixture or you can use something like Engine Ice to help as well, but those things only lower the running temps very slightly.

I suggest you install a switch so that you can manually turn the radiator fan on anytime you know you are going to be in some heavy traffic. All you have to do is run a wire from the ground side of the fan (same pole that the wire from the radiator runs to) then place a switch inline & ground to a part of the bike frame.

Just make sure you leave the radiator ground wiring in tact so that the rad switch will still work just like normal & kick on at 215 degrees.
That's exactly what I did. My F4i runs hot as shit and I was tired of my fan constantly turning on and off only to keep my engine cooled to 225f. Now I turn it on whenever I get caught in traffic and it never gets above 185.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 10:41 AM

I too have a 02 xx, and the same thing happens to me. I live in Las Vegas Nv where the temps are allways in the 100's ( day or night). In traffic, i'll let it get up to about 235 before i'm concerned about the bike. But it does bake your body in this kind of heat. As long as i'm moving (anything over 25 mph) I am not concerened. I have had the bike now for 8 weeks and have 4800 miles on her already. LOVE this thing..

P.S The cooling fan does'nt seem to work very well at all. the fan seems to be way to small. Even when the fan comes on the temp just keeps going up and up. If u come up with something let us know..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 02:21 PM

Hit the kill switch? Save gas AND let the bike cool down? unless of course your in 5mph traffic, then lane split and get out of it. j/k
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Cooling down my girl

Thanks to all the replies to my questions! I think I'll do like the Duck Dude says and wire in a switch. Was thinking of doing that anyway.

Yeah I realize that sitting still there's no airflow thru the radiator but don't ya think the engineers would have seen fit to turn the fan on earlier in the temperature cycle?

Anyhow I'll get out the wiring and the soldering gun and manually turn that fan on now!

I have also shut the engine down when I was in traffic that was rolling slowly down hill, that worked fine, and it never did over heat.

Silverbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode