CBR954RR Frame Heat - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

CBR954RR Frame Heat

I'm noticing that after riding my 954 a little while, when the temp gets to about 185 degrees, the frame and lower part of the fuel tank cover get hot.

Problem is, when I say hot, I mean HOT!!! I can only squeeze the bike with my legs for so long before being burned. Took the bike in yesterday for my 600 initial service and the service guy said it was the sun. Funny, I leave the thing parked in a parking lot all day in the sun and it's cool to the touch and doesn't even start to get warm until around 180 engine temp.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have ideas on how to rectify it. Dealer is not working with me at all on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 11:42 AM

Exclamation Hotness

Yea, I have a F4i and there is a lot of heat generated from this engine that comes out from underneath the seat and onto the legs. Great during the winter but not so during the hotness of summer here in CA. Granted they are not the same bike but numerous magazines had observed the same problems from both the F4i and 954RR. It isn't a serious problem, nor does it cause any damage to the bike. It just is a nuisance in that Honda can't figure this out when the other three rocket manufacturers don't have the same problem. I just deal with it. It's tough though.

Noel
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:49 PM

954RR.com

Check their forums, there is a lot of discussion about the heat from riding this bike.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

CBR954RR Frame Heat

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the link. I also had a 2002 600F4i but never noticed the heat like I am with this one. Think for the heck of it I'm going to locate one of those laser thermometers and take a reading. Nothing like taking off the pants and having bright red skin inside the legs!

But I DO LOVE THE BIKE!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 08:25 PM

i've noticed the frame get a little warm but not to the point that i would get burned.are you guys wearing shorts or something?it's july!!!if your bike and seat don't get hot sitting in the parking lot it must be raining.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Wearing jeans and sometimes riding pants. I never wear shorts on the bike, especially since my last crash. Jeans, jacket, gloves and helmet allowed me to walk away with only a sore wrist. And yes, the seats do get hot but that's about it. Frame gets lukewarm. It's about 30 minutes into a ride when it gets really hot. But after checking into this more, I'm not the only one with the problem so I'll just have to deal with.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 04:56 PM

Hate to be the one to say it, but get used to it because it's not going to go away. My '96 VFR gets hot enough to take fingerprints off after a summer's day ride. That big fat alloy frame is acting as a huge heat sink, absorbing radiated heat from the engine. I have no appreciable experience with other manufacturer's sportbikes, so I don't know if this is a Honda idiosyncrasy or not, but every alloy-framed Honda sportbike I've ever ridden heated up the frame to the point you don't want to be touching it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:01 PM

my 900rr gets extremely hot in the same places.... I don't think it's a problem with your bike.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:52 PM

Yeah I know what you mean my XX gets hot the whole back end of it ! The only way I know of to cool it off it to get er back up to 70 mph. I've noticed that the insides of my thighs get pretty warm. Yeah I'm wearing either leathers or Levi's.

In fact when I come home after I shut her off I stand a large box fan up in front of the radiator and turn it on high. I leave it there until I can touch things without getting burned.

Guess I'll just have to live with it.

Silverbird.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Man this sucks to hear. Looks like the ZX-9 gains a point in new bike consideration.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode