My first tank slapper, a monumental occasion! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

My first tank slapper, a monumental occasion!

Well, its official, after about 6,400 miles on my 2001 929 I have had my first tank slapper. This slapping phenominon has never happened with any of my other bikes. For a while I was dilusional and thought the elusive tank slapper was a myth propetuated by other riders, that I was some how immune to the detrimental effects of handlebar/gastank contact. Because of my negligence and obtuse thinking I have dismissed past chances to purchase a steering stabilizer for a reasonable cost. After today's tank slapping, heart dropping, overall scary incident I have learned to listen to my fellow motorcyclists, and take the advice of those whom know more than I do. I am definitely buying a steering stabilizer now. I am sure that many of you have stabilizers on your bike(s) and probably have a wealth of knowledge with each model's pros and cons. It would be great if you all would enlighten me, I want to make the right purchase. If it can be helped I would rather not have to sell a kidney to afford this addition, So if anyone knows of an affordable option that works well, or better yet has a used model for sale I am all ears. Thanks for the info

Drake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 01:38 AM

I like my Scotts, your able to adjust it while your riding, plus it's saved me from many tank-slappers. There is a ton of web sites sell them for around $350 to $400. Good luck, and ride safe.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 07:14 AM

Exactly what causes a tank slapper to begin? Please excuse my ignorance.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 01:33 AM

Tank Slapper read what TAZ wrote he is right on.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 08:02 AM

I have a Scotts on my track SV and like it ok. Part of the reason I choose the Scotts is that my KLX dirt bike needed a damper, after buying a mount for each bike its just 2 bolts to move the Scotts to the other bike.

If I was doing it again and only for a pavement bike Id get the top mount telescopic from http://www.traxxion.com/
Top notch customer support and the telescopic dampers are a little better at catching the very small head shakes.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 08:43 AM

Thanks Kneeslider for that great link.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 09:41 AM

Your Welcome.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 03:54 AM

I've got 6900 miles on my 2001 929, and I've had some horrible shaking through turns and occasionally at high speeds after hitting a cat-err...-a bump.

I've got a Toby dampener on thats almost fully tightened and its always been as solid as a rock. I just got the bike into the shop about 1,100 miles ago for the 4k mile maintenence, they said nothing about the bearings, and it seems to early for them to cause me problems. My stock tires don't seem to be cupping and the weights are still on the wheels...

...anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? is it possible for the bearings to go out this early?

thanks in advance for any help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode