600F2 question...help??!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

600F2 question...help??!!

Does anyone know the factory wheel horsepower of the honda cbr600F2?? is there a difference in hp compared to the new cbr600F4??? and is this a good starter bike, or should i start with a ninja500? did any of u guys start with a 600??? thanks for yer help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 01:57 AM
Honda Moderator

The F2 did to the 600 class what the 900RR did to litrebikes. When it debuted in 91 the factory was claiming 105hp at the crank & that was pretty damn accurate as most of my dyno testing showed between 92-95 at the rear wheel. With a good full systems, a jet kit & and 4 degrees of ignition advance the new 600 was whoopin up on the big dogs of the time (GSXR750,1100) & making them look down right silly both out in the twisties & the 1/4 strip.

If you are considering one as your first bike then you have my full support. You couldn't ask for a better learner bike as you won't have to trade up for something better for quite a while & it is a great handling bike, easy to ride & spare body parts abound cheaply if you were to bin it...

The EX500 is a great bike too extremely nimble & quick, but you will find it underpowered when riding with your friends. However that bike in a proficient riders hands can embarrass quite a few R1's & 929's on a tight twisty road, but in the end as your skill progresses you will find that it's flexy frame & swingarm will hinder your efforts & you will be looking for an upgrade.

Either bike is a great first bike.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 04:30 PM

first year for the F2

What was the first year for the F2 by the way? 1991 or 1992?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 01:09 AM

The F2's first year was 91.

The F2 is a great starter bike although its still a fast bike so its still recommendable to go smaller for 6 months to a year. I started with my F2 though after learning the basics on a gixx 750 and taking the ALMIGHTY MSF class! The MOST RECOMMENDED way to go. Take the class if you havent and remember not to come out of it thinking you can ride. The mentality you want is that the class prepared you to go out and learn on your own and believe me its a whole new world of learning when you get back on your own bike. Obviously youre new to riding so i have to stress this.. you're mentality is going to be one of the most important things you need to work on in the first year. Keep your head on straight and keep yourself in check ALL the time and you'll be ok. Take heed friend. Ive a few friends who didnt listen to me and got careless. Anyway the 600 is a great bike and you definately want to start out on something old and used. Ive had my F2 for about a year now and i can either keep it or sell it and get a new one. Ive decided to sell it before the year is over however but im only stepping up to a F4. Theres still PLENTY for me to learn on this as im barely getting to my first track day this August. I made a decision during my first real year of riding that i dont want to prove anything in the canyons. I want to enjoy riding. Even on the track though you gotta be careful. Its just much safer in a more controlled environment with less variables. I dont ride hard but im only 1 of 3 600's among the usual group i ride with on the weekends and im the first of the newer guys to manage to get my knee down. Happened on the way up to Laguna Seca! Just focus on improving your handling skills.. the rest will come into play along the way like my knee did. Most important of all you want to have fun, continue to ride and be safe. Goodluck! Ride safe!

ps.. stay away from trying to prove things whether it be to others around you or yourself. Dont fool yourself either.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 01:12 AM

I forgot to mention my recent dyno. My bike dyno'd 80.92 hp at the rear wheel with a D&D slip on, jet kit and 2 up rear sprocket. I have to take it in one more time for final tuning and dyno again. hopefully i get a little better results. The hp read sounds about right though. My bike is 11 years old but runs great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode