1999 CBR 600 f4....engine ticking? normal? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
6T9

Unhappy 1999 CBR 600 f4....engine ticking? normal?

I'm about to by a 99 f4 w/ 7000 miles for $5,500 otd from a dealer in crete, iL.

The price is well under book value and it has me worried. I've been seeing f3's for around the same ptrice. I rode the bike today and it seems solid....the only thing, other than the honda engine whine is a tcking that I hear. Is this normal to all f4's??

Need help..going to buy tomorow morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 01:38 AM

cam chain tensioner??
wouldn't be surprised ...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 09:13 PM

I just bought a 200 honda F4. I hear a similar ticking noise from both the left and right sides of the bike near the gear shift(left) and rear brake(right). I am thinking this is from the cam chain tensioner. Is this most likely correct? What is involved in replacing the tensioner with a manual one?

Thanks
John

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 10:30 PM

I got my local shop to make me up one personally. I think they searched around but couldn't find any aftermarket ones surprisingly! LOL
Note: someone shoud make and sell these things because they WOULD sell!

Otherwise I'd recommend you get yourself a copy of the workshop manual, and model a manual one on your existing one, or even convert it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 05:38 AM

I have a 99 F4 with 7000+ miles on it. I also have the ticking noise, I have not checked into the chain tensioner. Mine runs great and have no other problems.

What color is the one you are looking to buy, 6T9? Although color should not make a difference, it is why I got the F4!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode