Bike flooded! please help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Bike flooded! please help

My 1996 CBR 600F3 got caught in the major flooding through out houston last year, while i was working in boston. it was in a storage garage were the water got about waste high. when i got it to my house i drained the oil, which had some grey slug, and removed the air filter, and wiped some water from the carbs. im about to change the oil filter, and since im new too working on bikes, thought my best bet would be to get some info. from you all about other maintanance work that may be needed. It hasnt been started, so if you could help me out with this one that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 08:39 AM

Ouch!

Will the garage that you had it in give you some kind of insurance coverage? There is so much that could be screwed up with your bike at this point. I mean water sitting in the cylinders for a few days and god knows what else. I'd try to get insurance to cover it and take it in to a mechanic myself. I mean if it was really in the water for very long it could easily need engine and carb rebuild. And if it's been sitting for a year with water in the oil it just sounds really bad. I'm no mechanic myself but....

Last edited by krsteen; 07-11-2002 at 08:42 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:43 PM

Wow, that is some serious bad luck, sorry to hear about the problems. It really depends on how long water sat in the bike for. If it has been more than just a couple of days you are looking at a bad situation. Ideally when an engine gets doused you want to clean out the old fluids and get new fluids in asap. than run the engine immediatly after changing fluids to try to remove any water that has made its way into the cylinder heads. In your case you probably have rust built up in very unconvienant places and depending on how much water the area was flooded with, which will depend on how much water got into the engine, will depend on the extent of damage. I would be worried about rust around piston rings, in the cylinder bore, around push rods around or on berring surfaces, ect. I am sorry for the pessimistic news, I do hope I am wrong. If you are on a budget and can't get any insurance help the very least I would do is make sure the engine freely rotates before cranking it over, check spark pluggs for rust, and after running it for just a few miles under low torque, rpm situations I would change the new oil again to hopefully remove any flood/ rust reminants that have washed into your oil pan. I hope this helps

Drake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode