did I hurt my bike by revving it too high? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

did I hurt my bike by revving it too high?

I accidently ran my 2001 929 up into the red-line zone while doing a wheelie. I was trying to keep the front wheel up for that extra couple seconds while in the red zone it started to sputter. Does that mean that I hit the rev limiter, is there such a thing on my bike? also, what kind of damage does this do to the bike. The red-line zone on my bike starts at 11.5 K RPM and I think I had it pegged up through 12.5 K mabe 13K RPM. I don't plan on making it a habit revving the bike so high, but if anyone knows the ramifications of doing so would you please enlighten me.

Thanks!

Drake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 11:41 AM
Founder

Yes, the "sputter" you heard was you hitting the rev-limiter. While you can damage your bike if you hit the limiter all of the time, it's very, very doubtfull that you hurt it doing it once.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 08:26 AM

Rev limiter.

When I first got my MR2 turbo (not a motorcycle ) I went and raced my friend. I repeatedly hit the rev limiter in first gear while jumping off the line since it revved up to redline so fast. I thought there was something wrong with it since it was making this loud dee dee dee dee sound and then I finally noticed where my RPM's really were.

Later when I started racing my car on the track a lot I would still hit the limiter every once in awhile when I was really trying to catch someone. And it's been 3 years now and my car is still going strong, has 115k on it now. So that makes 20k of hard high revving miles on it. Course I change the oil (synthetic all the way) whenever it starts really turning black and try to keep it well maintained.

I tend to rev my bike up a lot the same way I do with my car. Even more so now that I hit the carpool lane and get all that space in front of me. I hope that eventualy I turn into less of a squid and learn to drive slow but whats the chance of that happening . I expect that as long as I keep it well maintained it will last a long time, even as hard as I am on it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 06:24 AM

Post ...

I hit the rev limiter about half the time I ride wheelies. My limiter light comes and sp pp pp uu tt tt tt er. No big deal. Its a honda so I'm not too concerned myself.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 08:50 PM

My last race weekend was done at VIR with no tach (long story). Anyways, if I only hit the limiter on the front straight each lap I was lucky! Just shift when it happens and don't try to do it and you won't have any issues.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 06:16 PM

The service manager at the Honda dealer I work at says that the rev limiter is there because that's as high as you can rev it w/out hurting it. Don't worry about hitting it often.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks folks for all the great info, I feel much better about the whole bouncing off the rev limiter thing

Drake
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 05:39 AM

Yea, I've hit y rev limiter a few times. But I think the whole idea behind the rev limiter is, it's there so you won't hurt your bike. I wouldn't stress about it. But if you hit it and find a big hole in your fairing from something exiting your engine with a "quickness" you may want to worry.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 12:55 AM

I confer with whats been said. The limiters there for a reason. If it werent good for it to be there and not higher then manufacturers would have set it somewhere else. Of course that doesnt go to say you wont have problems if you overdue it. I hit the rev limiter everytime i try to keep it up in the air because i cant shift but as long as youre not hitting it often like a neutral rev then you should be fine. Still i try to avoid it as much as i can. Gradually getting there by not paying attention is one thing but hittin it fast like wheelies in first are harder on it then other gears.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 01:11 AM

MORE ON THIS REV LIMITER THING

Okay, here is my question, I am fully aware of the concept of rev limiters and how and why they work, what concerns me is when I made the jump from in line 4's to my twin, I also kept accidentally running it way up into the red until I got used to having less rpm range. What concerns me is I have never heard the rev limiter kick in on my twin. I have been 1500-2000 past the red but I never heard the distinctive stutter sound. In fact I usually only noticed because it felt like it quit making power. Is that because I am on a twin and it sounds different, or do twins not have rev limiters??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode