Where Did Anyone Get A Manual Cam Chain Tensioner For Their 01 F4i - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Where Did Anyone Get A Manual Cam Chain Tensioner For Their 01 F4i

i have looked high and low, far and near, hither and yonder for a god-damned manual cam chain tensioner... i can't find a part number, a distributor, not even a fu***** manufacturer! i have read people writing about how wondeful it is. please help me locate one of these mythical pieces of mechanical dream material. my f4i has almost 9k, has had the tensioner replaced twice, and has again gotten so bad that it vibrates and rattles from 3k-9k rpm, sounds like it's going to jump out of the case and pass me at times! WTF! dealer blows me off now as it is out of warranty... anyone have the number to honda america cust. service? does anyone know anything about the mechanical cam chain tensioner...? please, help this forlon, mechanincally inclined, knee-draggin', monkey-ass, wheelie-prone jack-ass find my part......!!!!!! thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:23 PM

You sound a touch frustrated my friend, might I suggest an R6.

Seriously, good luck on your quest (and remember, the speed of an African Laden Swallow is......).

Hope you come riding with Brit and me in a couple weekends, I'm thinking GMR and the crest.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:34 PM

I searched google for 15 minutes and couldn't come up with a number for customer service. Sorry

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 04:18 PM

Try this manufacturer, Ape. Think you can find one at www.aperaceparts.com.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

hahaha

[QUOTE]Originally posted by apexismaximus
[B]You sound a touch frustrated my friend, might I suggest an R6.

might it be yourself that so earnestly desires an R6? i'm sure the dealer would give you at least 6k (!) for your current yamahaha, smokey rings and all, towards the purchase price of your new dream macine... your pavement pourosity testing suit won't go with the new blue. i'll stick to my CBR, rattling cam chain and all. i don't know about that there yamahaha R6. you do know know why the make yammies blue, right?

you would be sad, too, if everyone passed you!!!

Last edited by monkeyassf4i; 07-06-2002 at 08:55 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

i found one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for all of you with an '01 F4i, i have found the elusive manually adjustable cam chain tensioner!!! please, contact John Nave at APE Racing! the part number you need is HT900, and i am told they have plenty in stock! say goodbye to that annoying buzzing-rattling of the stock crap piece, quit giving your bike to the dealer just to have them re-install the same lousy part that WILL fail again (just outside of warranty), don't put your engine at risk! John is super friendly, and very willing and able to help! give him a call at (800) 824-1825 or (818) 842-4952 (in CA). these things are easy to install, do you lace-up shoes, or velcro? if you have lace-ups, you'll probably have no problem doing this yourself! the dealer may tell you it's a bad idea, but DO NOT forget, they are a business, and they will LOSE money if you do this to fix your bike right... they won't be able to bill honda for the warranty repair, so of course, they aren't going to reccomend this! and, no, i'm not on their payroll, nor did i even get my part for free! i'm just stoked that an individual has taken the time to correct this otherwise perfect machine's only problem! you're looking at $46.75, plus the 'brown truck fees' in John's own words... it's worth it, if nothing else, you can now listen to the loud pipe on your bike and not worry about tossing your cam chain out of the case while your wound up on the r's and draggin' your monkeyass knee! geoff
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 09:07 AM

Do they have these for 900 rr's too?

My 900 RR grinds when at really low rpm's in first and second gear. Is this problem common to all CBR's even as old as 94? Course in my case it could just be the drive chain since it's really loose and due for replacement anyway.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

i dunno..............

i'm afraid i've never owned a 900rr, nor has anyone in my riding circles, so i never bothered to learn about that bike's peculiarities... i don't remember ever hearing any complaints about that. best to address some dudes that know that bike better. i do know a loose or badly worn, dry chain can cause some hellacious sounding noises. however, it's pretty easy to tell that the chain is the source of the sound, just clutch your bike while you're rolling fast (freeway) and stick your head down low on the left (don't go crossing five lanes of traffic into a wall!) and have a listen... i don't know where the cam chain tensioner is on a 900rr, but on the f4i, it's down low on the right just in front of the clutch basket under the case cover... and the sound comes from there... check to see where your tensioner is, it might lead you in the right direction.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 10:31 AM

Hey Monkey, did you replace your Manual Cam Chain Tensioner yet? Do you know what all is involved in replacing it? I just put one on order and was wondering how much work is involved in replacing it. Thanks
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

get a manual...

i'm not sure, but i'm told not difficult at all. i have a feeling the installation is simple. i have not recieved my part yet. i was a little chapped to find out after i was told it would arrive over a week and a half ago when i placed the order. an inquiry when it didn't show got a 'manufacturing supply' problem (they didn't have them as they told me when i called!). it is supposed to arrive tommorow, friday. i purchased a honda (factory) manual so i could do some wiring stuff and other modifications, and understand the fuel 'infection' system exactly. do not buy one of the other manuals- the honda manual is the shit, i don't know if anyone makes one yet besides honda, anyway. it has proven worth it's 60. and change... order direct form honda.com. the part is actually located on the outside of the cyl head on the right rear side and is held in place by two bolts (with a gasket under it, be sure to have the gasket handy in case you destroy or f-up the original one while switching parts). i imagine it has an adjustment allen or standard head bolt with a locking nut or other lock mechasnism. i've been told to expect to adjust it every 3k to 10k miles. it being only a short cam chain, i imagine it will be closer to the 10k, at least i really hope. as far as adjusting once installed, this is what i've heard: tighten it until it feels snug, then start bike and back off slowly until it starts to rattle or make noise a little, then, tighten it A LITTLE bit past quiet and lock it tight. i'm not sure since i haven't done it. but if my part arrives i'll be doing it this weekend and can maybe answer you a little better. (all this is based on general automaotive and motorcycle mechanical experience, i have no idea how much you know or what you have worked on in the past. experience always helps with this stuff, but there is only one way to get it. try it on a buddies bike first! lol.) geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode