New Tire suggestions for 954... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up New Tire suggestions for 954...

Looking @ some new treads for my 954...Was thinking about either metzelers or michelin pilots...

Which do you like more for street riding..?? If michelins pilots should i go race or sports...If metzelers, which model do you like for them...??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:12 PM

Many guys in our group ride the Metzeler Sportec M1....they're awesome tires! Heat up fast (faster that the Pilots), stable, neutral, good mileage for a high perf. tire, confidence inspiring, and relatively CHEAP!
(Our bikes that run the Sportecs include R1, Rc51, ZX9R, 929, Daytona 955)

I have them on my VFR and will be putting them on my 929 when the OEM Pilots are done (soon!).

The M1s are also priced better than the Pilots. We can get them at a local shop for $87/110. I think www.discountmotorcycletire.com
sells 'em for a little more, but close enough.

Sport Rider magazine ranked 'em 2nd in the high performance category to the Pilot Race H2. The Race H2 gives more traction, but take longer to heat up and give less mileage.

Last edited by qqqqqqqman; 06-29-2002 at 04:15 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

qqq,

Sweet, thanxx for the input.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 07:22 AM

Hey, I have a question. If you put the "race" oriented tires on, what do you do if you get caught in the rain? Is the traction in wet weather that bad?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 06:32 PM

Race tires are for the track. Street tires are better for the street. When the tires and the pavment are cold you will have terrible traction. The race tires will break traction under acceleration easier then the street compounds.

If you are riding in the heat of summer and have no problem with the race tires warming up you will find that they stick very well. But there are other issues too. Race tires a designed to go through only a few heat cycles. These types of tires a meant to heat up to operating temperatures and then cool down and then heat up again for the next session and then maybe one more time after that. As for street tire, they are designed to heat up and cool down many many times. I cant say exactly what happens to the tires. But from the different things that I have read the track tires are not the way to go for the street.

And of course, they wear out alot faster. As for poser points, I dont think you will earn much of those unless you can melt the edges of the tire off.

Miguel

"I'm always having a good time!"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cafe Racer

And of course, they wear out alot faster. As for poser points, I dont think you will earn much of those unless you can melt the edges of the tire off.

Miguel
LOL, I always wondered why people put race tires on their bikes to ride on the street

I guess the poser points really do add up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode