stalling cbr 600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

stalling cbr 600

I have a 97 cbr 600. Last night, I let my friend ride it, and he forgot to turn on the gas switch. He stalled thinking the bike died on him, so in turn he kept trying to start it, which killed the battery. So we pushed the bike and popped the clutch to get it started.

Now the prob. The bike keeps stalling once you put it into nuetral or squeezing the clutch when you stop or even while your riding. The rpm's just drop to zero and the bike shuts off. I think the battery is good, because i rode it for a couple miles to bring it back home (revving it to keep it alive at lights) so i think it recharged

Once home, i can get it to start, but not to stay idle.

Also, I have a feeling the first time we popped it to get it started, i think i made it around the block with the choke up

Any suggestions before I bring it in and get ripped off?

I left the bike alone to let it sit, hoping for a miracle when i get home today, but i dont think that miracle will happen.

Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:24 AM

Try searching this sight for "vacuum pump." I think someone here had the same problem a couple of months ago.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

how would the vacuum lines or pump get dammaged?

From overtrying to start the bike, or popping the clutch?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 02:33 PM

Even though a lot of us think the battery has only to do with starting a bike or car, it has WAY more to do than that. He may have actually weakened the battery to the point where it will not recharge properly. I'm not saying for certain it IS the battery, but it very well could be. Have it checked out. It wouldn't hurt.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 12:29 AM

Gotta be battery.

I have a CBR900rr and was having wierd cutout problems. Turned out to be a loose battery terminal. Also someone with an f4 was having the same problem and his turned out to be loose terminals as well. So I'd check those for tightness first and then replace the battery next. Lots of wierd problems on these bikes caused by the battery.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:04 AM

Lightbulb

had that prob with mine!
Turned out it was a 2month old battery with a dead cell!!!
Got it replaced and the world is a happy place again!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 08:05 AM

Had similar problems with my 600F3 - the battery was almost dead when I bought it off my brother and even though I jump started it and rode about for a few miles, the instant the revs dropped to idle, the bike died completely and wouldn't start again.

Bought a new battery ($70 I think) and all is sweet once more. As for getting ripped off - go to NY Honda in Queens (http://www.nyhonda.com). I just dropped my bike in for a checkup and they did a good job - prices are low too !

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode