New to sport bikes... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Talking New to sport bikes...

Hey, I have been a "cars are better" man since I got my liscense 3 year ago. But because of two speeding tickets and moving out i was forced to sell my '96 camaro z28. I have seen the light though, and purcased a '96 CBR600F3... Damn, that's all i have to say. I mean, i knew that bikes were fast and all, but when you've only riden a 225cc yamaha dual-sport, there is a HUGE ASS diference.

Once i get all settled into my new appartment in the next month or so i want to start putting more money into the bike. Now, i know this is the most annoying newbie questions but it has to be asked. I know I always hated it when some renob came on the f-body boards and asked us what to do to make his v6 fast, but i'm the renob now... so...

What kind of gains are expected from a slip-on or a full exhaust?
Whats a jet kit?
When people say, "put a K&N on," is it just a filter, or a whole intake assembly like on cars?
What else produces moderate gains that doesn't involve tearing the motor apart?
Do people requently port/polish heads/intake and put a diff. cam in like with autos?

BTW, please make fun of me... i deserve it... that whole Karma thing.

--
Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 05:26 PM

Talking PAGING SPONGEBOB!

Quote:
Originally posted by viocurse
When people say, "put a K&N on," is it just a filter, or a whole intake assembly like on cars?
Iff'n I was you, I'd take cover! Spongebob can zero in on a K&N thread like a sidewinder tracks heat!

You've been warned!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 07:24 PM

Re: PAGING SPONGEBOB!

Quote:
Originally posted by basicblur

Iff'n I was you, I'd take cover! Spongebob can zero in on a K&N thread like a sidewinder tracks heat!

You've been warned!
Just in case Spongebob is on vacation let me tell you about K&N.
Can you say "they suck"
My R6 ran like sh!t after I installed it & after calling their tech department I find out you will need to "modify" your airbox & rejet. Of course nobody has been able to tell me what "modify" means & the rejetting part sure wasn't a part of the sales pitch. So I now have a $60 filter on a shelf.

As for your other questions most of the other guys & gals on this site have much more experience than I do.

Just to keep your Karma balanced though I would recommend you install a belt driven blower, spool locker on the rear, hurst shifter & of course don't forget your protection with a five point harness & full cage.
gee that was kinda fun..... I love newbies

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:18 PM

Re: New to sport bikes...

Quote:
Originally posted by viocurse
Once i get all settled into my new apartment in the next month or so i want to start putting more money into the bike. Now, i know this is the most annoying newbie questions but it has to be asked. I know I always hated it when some renob came on the f-body boards and asked us what to do to make his v6 fast, but i'm the renob now... so...
I expect the standard F-body answer is similar to the standard motorcycle answer: If you want more power, trade up to a more powerful bike. You'll spend less money, get better results, and even have a factory warranty.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with the F3. It's a great bike, plenty fast, comfortable enough to ride all day, and, on the right twisty road, better than sex (well, better than mediocre sex anyway).

But if you've just got to have more power, save your money and trade up to a used 929. You'll get 50% more cubic inches, about 25 fewer lbs, and almost a full second in the quarter-mile.
Quote:
What kind of gains are expected from a slip-on or a full exhaust?
Maybe 5+hp on the top end. But the real worry is midrange. Some full systems boost peak power but crater the torque curve in midrange. Not an even trade, IMHO. Get dyno chart from the pipe manufacturer before you decide.
Quote:
What's a jet kit?
A pre-engineered set of jets, needles, and other hardware needed to modify the carburetors for better performance.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:32 PM

The power thing is just like for a car...the idea is to add more
air (K&N), more fuel (jet kit), and flow the exhaust (slip-on/full).
K&N is debatable, some say yes, some say no And it is a
filter, not a whole assembly.

As was noted, if you want more power than that, buy a more
powerful bike. This is your first bike, it won't be your last
(unless you keep getting tickets like your car!). You will lose
a lot of money if you mess with engine internals, then sell it
later. No one will pay you for your port/polish/cams/etc.

Learn to ride well before you worry too much beyond basic
performance upgrades.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 11:26 PM

Slip-on.. just noise.

Take the MSF course if you havent already before the mods.

You already have a good bike.

Last edited by slowrat; 06-24-2002 at 11:28 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 07:04 AM

A big difference between bikes and cars is that on a bike, you matter. The cheapest way to make it go faster is to make yourself a better rider. Take an MSF course, track school if you're really into it, that kinda stuff. Save your cash to fix crashes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode