Handlebar wobble... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Handlebar wobble...

Just to start this out, I am not a stunt rider or anything, but on my old F4 I used to be able to take my hands off of the bars and the thing would pretty much steer itself. On my new XX however, if I take my hands off even for a second the bars start to wobble a little bit...I'm sure it would only get worse if I let it, but I don't want to find out. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it typical of this bike, or is something out of balance? The bike is only a couple of months old. If it is just typical to the design of the bike, would a steering damper correct this? Sometimes it just doesn't feel as stable as my old F4 did. Anyway, any help on this would be appreciated, thanks!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 05:00 PM

I know a couple of people with the XX's and that is not common from their bikes anyway. The simple quick test is tire pressure if that is fine It could be an improperly balanced tire. Front end wobble could also be an effect if the rear tire is not correctly balanced.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I wondered if tire pressure was it too, but every time I check them they are fine. I guess I'll have to break down and take it to the dealer. I doubt this'll be covered by the warranty, even though its done it since I bought the thing. Thanks for the help.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 06:27 AM

Years ago I bought a Magna that had been wrecked, for $800 bucks. I used to take my hands off the bars sometimes, but one day out of the blue the handlebars started oscillating violently and the whole bike was shaking, scared the crap outta me. I never took my hands off the bars again. All the other bikes I owned if you take your hands off the bars nothing happens. I have no idea why it happened.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: Handlebar wobble...

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
On my new XX however, if I take my hands off even for a second the bars start to wobble a little bit...I'm sure it would only get worse if I let it, but I don't want to find out
I don't know about the XX, but it's pretty common on some bikes to shake the front end when the bars are released at around 50mph. The ST1100, for example, is notorious for it. Tire wear exacerbates the problem, but it does it even with brand new tires. The solution is to keep your hands on the bars.

You should check steering head, swingarm, and wheel bearings to be sure there's nothing amiss mechanically, but most likely it's just a characteristic of the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode