Cam Chain Tensioner - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Cam Chain Tensioner

what's the furthest anyone has ever driven with rattling CCT? has anyone experienced a cam chain jump on the 2001 f4i?!

Last edited by monkeyassf4i; 06-19-2002 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 09:51 PM

I have 6,000 miles on my '01 with the CCT singing it's song since about 2,500. I haven't heard of anyone having a chain jump... you're just trying to make me nervous aren't you?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:54 AM
Honda Moderator

Buy an RC51 with gear driven cams

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 04:18 AM

ive got just over 5k on mine, but it is going in the shop this week to fixed under warranty.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 08:00 AM

On Jeffy's website (www.CBR600F4.com), there's a Honda tech that says you can ride as long as you want with a rattling CCT--it won't hurt anything but the noise will drive you nuts. He said to install a manual CCT if you want something that won't rattle.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

that's good news.....

i've been told that same thing, but, the more i hear it, the better i feel about leaving it be. i was told that the width of the distance between the cams is not much less than the distance from the crank to the cams and that it would be almost impossible for the chain to jump a sprocket and send a valve or two crashing into my pistons(!) considering that the chain is pretty snug and rides against followers all along it's path... still, considering the expense of a motor, i figured it was worth asking! thanks, geoff
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 06:00 AM

i have been told several different things. the honda shop said we can fix it but it will only do it again, it wont hurt any thing just keep ridding it. then i had a performance shop said that with then tensioner not working that it would effect the guides and how it wears on them. so who to believe?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

they're right...

as a mechanic, i know for sure that the cam chain riding excessively against the plastic chain guides will wear them out prematurely... i also wonder if any slack can cause a decrease in performance by allowing the cam timing to be slightly incorrect? geoff
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 05:19 AM

i have to wonder it being called a cct and the t standing for tensioner. that if it is not keeping tension that it will slip or jump completely off the sprockets, causing you to either wreck or some pretty major engine damage. all this of course comming from a rider not a mechanic but a logical thinker. what do you guys think?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:33 PM

Could be bad could be fine. I'm still under warranty so when it starts to get cold I'll have the shop change it. 1700 miles on 02 and it makes a vibrating noise and also so slight click at times. If I wasn't under warranty and wasn't too much I'd change it anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode