Honda PGM fuel injection cold start problem - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Honda PGM fuel injection cold start problem

I previously owned a '00 model 929 with the PGM fuel injection on it. I now own a '01 929 that has the same fuel injection on it. Both bikes were bought new by me. This fuel injection has been put on several Honda's in the last couple years, including the XX and the F4i. It incorporates a cold start circuit that replaces a manual choke.

On the '00 model I owned, upon start up on a cold day it would immediately idle up around 2K until the temp gauge hit 100 and then start to idle down slowly and by 120 degrees it was at it's set idle speed. Just like it's supposed to. On a hot day when it's 100 degrees in my garage, upon start up it would immediately idle up to around 15-1800 RPM and when the water temp hit 100 it would be idling down and by 110 degrees it would be at set idle.

With my '01 model, since day one it has started differently. Not as easily. On a hot day like described above, it will start and chug along about 800 RPM and about 15 seconds later it will start to idle up and continue until about 1800 RPM. When the temp gauge hits 100 degrees start to idle down and by 110 degrees it would be at set idle. Just like the '00 model. The start up is the problem. It takes 15 seconds or more for the bike to idle up, where the '00 model would idle up immediately.

There was a couple times when the motor was fairly new (it has 18.5K on it now) that it would just die. Once when I tried turning the throttle to raise the RPM's when it was cold and had not idled itself up yet it would back fire up through the air box and die, like a cold motor with no choke leaning out the motor.

In the winter time the bike (the '01) started much better. It would start and only take a couple seconds to get up to the 2k or so idle, and then start it's idle down around 100 and be at set idle by 110 or so degrees. Bottom line is I don't think the cold start idle is working like it should. I don't think it's supposed to take 15 seconds or more for it to idle itself up after starting in warm weather. My '00 model didn't, and a couple of my friends whom have this PGM system says their doesn't either.

So I took the bike in to Honda to get it looked at. They cold started a couple of bikes they had in the shop. One was a trade in, the other a customer's bike. They both did the same as my '01 model and took a while before they would idle up. After looking at my bike the mechanic said the starter solenoids (they call them solenoids, but it's not really a solenoid in the sense we most think of. It's more like an idle adjustment, one on each cylinder. Lets more air in on cold start and pushes the throttle blades open further for the richer air / gas mixture on start up) were out of synch. In case you don't know it, the PGM fuel injected bikes will need an occasional synch, similar to what your old carbureted bike did.

Mine was way off. He set those, and reset the high idle. Now the bike starts and immediately goes to 2K RPM, but doesn't start to idle down until almost 130 degrees and doesn't hit set idle until almost 140 degrees. I don't think this is right either. Now even when I go out and get the bike out of a 100 degree garage and the engine temp gauge reads 99 even before starting it, the bike will idle up to 2K and hold it until 130 degrees. Hell, it's cold starting almost every time I park the bike, even though it's summer!

Ok, very long story short. My '01 model takes 15+ seconds to idle up when cold started in the summer time. In the winter, it starts, chugs for a couple seconds, and then idles up like it's supposed to. My '00 model never did this, it would start and immediately go up in idle, warm or cold.

What I want to know from this post is: How does your PGM cold start? Does it take a while to idle up? Or does it immediatly go up to high idle? I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this problem. According to the guys in the shop, the two bikes we tried were screwed up also, making me wonder if there aren't quite a few that don't work exactly like they are supposed to and the owner's don't know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 01:16 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I haven't noticed any problem with mine, but I'll check it out when I leave work tonight and let you know tomorrow. Like you said, maybe its just that I don't know its screwed up.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:59 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Well I watched it last night as I left work and this morning as I left for work, and there was no trouble eith it at all. It fired right up and went immediately to the set idle point. It didn't even rev high for a few seconds or anything, just right to the setpoint. Is yours under warranty? Thats should be covered under that. Good luck with yours, hope it all works out.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode