New to the forums/few questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

New to the forums/few questions

Hi all, just found this forum. And hopefully your resident experts can answer a few of my questions.

Im looking for a new bike. I currently own a 99 r6, and was looking to go with a big boy. Im a big fan of honda's, and was thinking about either the new 954 or the RC-51. Problem is i dont really know much about either of these bikes. The guy at the dealership might as well have been selling hotdogs for all he knew about the bikes. Can you please fill me in on the similarities and differences of these 2 bikes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 10:40 PM

I'm in no way an expert but I read alot about the new different bikes out & on a long flight this May I had 3 different mags on sportbikes. It seemed that the biggest difference between the two came down to your riding needs. If you're looking @ a bike that is a race oriented as your R6 then my impression was the RC51 fits that category best. Not to say the 954 was a slouch in that department either because of its' light weight & quick steering. It may be one of those kind of things that only a very good rider can discern & appreciate.
The way the power came on was another difference that the articles focused on. That made sense because they are so very different in their powerplants. Again I'm not an expert but I thought I would share the little I knew/read.
Good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Honda Moderator

I've been down this road literally a thousand times. It all comes down to personal preference, intentions & skill level.

The RC is not a good commuter or around town bike, it was purpose built to strafe twisty roads at high rates of speed & carries alot of weight & lot less overall power than any of the current litre bikes. If you are a proficient rider it will reward you & prove your skill to the world, but if you are an inexperienced rider it will kick you in the teeth real quick. Due to it's stability/heft it does not like to change lines on command once you've commited to a corner & if you are really pushing it you have to get it right the first time or you are basically in the ditch. You have to ride it proactively & know what you want it to do before hand. When group riding you cannot fall back on an RC51 in the turns & then think you are going to make up time on the straights like you can on an R1 or 954 etc... Another issue is the RC requires a fair amount of modding (read that as $$$$) to make it truly confident to ride at an aggressive pace.

The 954 is a much better streetbike for general commuting, fast riding & hooliganism & will allow you to tune & hone your skills to the bike rather than forcing you to be proficient at riding initially. It is much more tolerable of small mistakes & just generally easier to ride.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks duckhunter, thats exactly the answer i was looking for
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 01:33 PM

No mention of the 954 being an inline-4 and the RC being a v-twin? Huge difference in power delivery and engine braking.

LD, regarding the comments on the RC, have you ridden a 2002 model yet? I haven't, but from what I have read, it seems the new bike may take some of the edge off of your comments about handling. Again, that's only based on what I have read.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Honda Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TX929
No mention of the 954 being an inline-4 and the RC being a v-twin? Huge difference in power delivery and engine braking.

LD, regarding the comments on the RC, have you ridden a 2002 model yet? I haven't, but from what I have read, it seems the new bike may take some of the edge off of your comments about handling. Again, that's only based on what I have read.
My seat time on the 02 RC51 has been brief & while there are some refinements (definitely more traction from the increased swingarm down angle) It is still heavier, underpowered & not very tolerant of mistakes compared to the other common litre bikes.

As far as the inline vs twin thing goes. Well, I figure if they don't already know the difference then they shouldn't be riding a 1000cc machine of either type... These machines must be treated with respect & a modicum of knowledge must be possessed by the pilot which goes hand in hand with ability/skill along with that it is the riders responsibility to educate himself on the type of machinery & it's inherent characteristics & I believe that if said rider isn't yet at a point where he/she can discern the differences between basic motor configurations then I'm not going to stop & explain it to them just so they can ignorantly go on to become a statistic because they are riding a bike far above their skill level. If someone asks what is distinguishing between two litre bikes, one being a twin & the other an inline it should be safe to assume they are somewhat informed. If not they should be asking about EX500's & SV650's, but again I'm not going to make that assessment for every person that asks a question about which bike they should get...

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode