need help picking out a jet kit!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

need help picking out a jet kit!!!

Hello again all. The bike is slowly starting to come around now. I have the T.B. slip on and I just put in the K&N air filter. Now I need help with the jet kit. My motorcycle mechanic friend says go with Factory racing because it works the first time and it's right the first time. He doesn't recommend K&N or Dynajet because he says they are too inconsistent. Can I get some feedback from you guys?? I asked before and no one responded. You all have helped me along this far.....don't leave me hanging now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 08:22 PM

Question ?

I tryed both kits on my old 97'F3, and I had better luck with the dynojet kit. I live at altitude so I don't know if that created any of the problems. I would recommend asking around to a couple of reputable performance shops in your area, or maybe go to the local tracks and see what some of the racers prefer. Hope this helps somewhat, and good luck!

Ride Safe!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 07:32 AM
Honda Moderator

Every model of bike can have a different result, but if I had to make some generalizations then I would say that both Dynojet & Factory Pro kits basically yield the same results they just do it in a different ways. For example (one brand may use smaller jets with thinner needles or one brand may use different springs without drilling the slides etc...)

Continuing my generalizations I would say that Factory Pro kits can usually be tuned a little more precisely than Dynojet kits, but with that comes the problem of getting some idiot that only half ass knows what he is doing trying to tune your carbs. Ya see anyone can install a jet kit, but knowing why we adjust the main jets, needle clips, pilot jets & mixture screws is the real key to making sure all the circuits flow together seamlessly providing linear power delivery.

Dynojet kits are typically easier to install even though they do usually require you to drill the slides.

Again the key is getting someone that knows how to tune the carbs for the right results instead of some guy that installed a jetkit once & now he thinks he is an expert...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Man all that stuff is way over my head. I appreciate all the info but I think I will just leave this one to the professionals. Bottom line is that I know jetting helps the performance. I want to be competitive in the 600 class and I also want to keep up with some of the big boys......not for long mind you, but at least get the jump on them. I've asked my motorcycle mechanic for his opinion and I trust it so I guess I will go with Factory. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Again, thanks for the info.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 06:48 AM

i used a dynojet kit with 118 & 120's. I have a micron slip-on & K&N. Put the needle on clip 3 & haven't had to touch the carbs since. starts cold & cleaned the power up a ton. much smoother. The 118 & 120's should do for just a S/O

Oh, BTW make sure you plug the air jets IAW the instructions. if you have a F4. There is no drilling needed on the F4's kit

Last edited by FuManChu; 06-10-2002 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode