Just got my first sportbike!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Talking Just got my first sportbike!!!!

Just got a '00 929 RR, red and white. Had it 3 weeks but couldn't post cause I was out riding so much. I bought it from a friend who just got a silver/ black 954. It already has a Scott's stabilizer, Erion pipe, framesliders, flushmounts, and I just put a zero gravity tinted windscreen on.
I've been like a kid with a new toy everyday, until today. I failed my riding test at DMV, couldn't turn the slow circle w/out putting my foot down. Guess I should have practiced going slow, but it didn't cross my mind. I can burn out in a circle, but can't turn one slow.
Then I get home from the test about 2 hours ago to learn that I'm being laid off from my job. What a day! If the Kings lose 2night that's it, time to ride my bike off a cliff!!(just joking, kind of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 11:40 AM

Re: Just got my first sportbike!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyronin
I can burn out in a circle, but can't turn one slow.
Anyone else get a bad feeling about this?

I hope you bought good gear.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 11:54 AM

Re: Re: Just got my first sportbike!!!!

Anyone else get a bad feeling about this?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, very bad. Good luck and learn to turn before learning to burnout and wheelie.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 04:32 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats on your bike man.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 07:11 PM

The "circle" part of the CA test is hard (and lame IMO). I did great taking the test on an old Honda 250 (whatever they are). Practice on your bike at the DMV now that you know what the test entails. My minimum SV turning circle diameter is only 2 feet smaller (at full lock) than the DMV circle. Better check the 929. The 250 was set up to idle about the right speed for the circle while dragging the rear brake a little (made it easy). Plus it is LOW making it easier to balance at slow speeds.

Good luck and take it easy.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:28 PM

Talking

Heh... here's a thought.... maybe it's a good idea to ride it on the bike you'll ride... 'cause if you can't pass the test on your normal bike, maybe you shouldn't be riding it normally Just gotta be a dick about it sorry.

But seriously, welcome to the world of biking man.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:39 PM

929 for your first sportbike? How do you walk with balls that big?

Only kidding man. Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:40 PM

just got a bike

Thats fantastic that you know how to burn out .Maybe you should burnout in a circli mat dmv .
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

I think I have to have the steering just about locked out the whole time for the circle at the DMV. I assumed it would be easier and didn't practice enough. I'm not used to failing drive tests, being a commercial truck driver. It really bummed me out.
I don't see the relevance in turning a tight circle w/out putting your foot down. Nobody's going to penalize you in the real world for using your foot. That's what I meant about burning out; it's just about as relevant as the circle test in deciding the skill of a rider.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:27 AM

Putting Foot Down

All sportbikes at a certain severe turning point at a slow speed want to literally, dive to the ground. It probably comes from the short wheelbase. Take the test in whatever bike it takes to pass. I took Fla's test in an old Goldwing. Tester said I did better than most. Practice slow speed stuff without putting foot down. Even lane changes go better if you just about stop the bike then change lanes before the cutoff point. Sportbikes are extreme technology, probably not the best to take test on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode