Superhawk front end? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Superhawk front end?

I need help! I need to know about parts interchange between the Superhawk and other bikes. Basically I need everything in front of the frame. Fork tubes, front wheel, bodywork on the left side, headlight, gauges, gas tank...
It appears that the minimum I need to get rolling again would be fork tubes, front wheel, and a clutch reservoir. I need to do this on the cheap, and a Superhawk in a junkyard is about as likely as a virgin in a fraternity.

ANY ideas would be helpful. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 01:39 PM

check the net for a vtr website, i believe its from germany. the website lists mods for installing cbr900 forks, i think from 96-97 years. also big valley honda website lists front forks, 45mm which are the same size as a 900. i just bought a wrecked vtr and did a lot of searching for parts. as always check ebay, i found several parts, but do multiple searches as a lot of people list them differently, i.e vtr100, vtr 1000, super hawk, superhawk. there is a vtr registry, a lot of people list parts for sale. check
ronayers.com, for new parts their price can't be beat. i believe they are selling parts at cost +20. oh, another source is powersportspro.com, they have a parts fiche online. this is excellent!! sign up is free and it lists part #'s, then cross reference part# w/ronayers.com for cheaper price. i think a front wheel from an f3 is the same, you can use the parts fiche to check the part#. you might have hard time finding a headlamp, 150.00 new from ron ayers, ouch. there is a set of gauges on ebay now and maybe a clutch master also. email me mail if you need anymore info.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 03:35 PM

The forks are definetly not 45 mm, I think they're 41. Whatever they are, since you basically need a whole front end, any one of that size will slide right into the stock triple clamps. F3 would be a common one to try.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 03:59 PM

sorry, i meant that the cbr forks are 45mm. the vtr forks are 41mm.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks!

Thanks for your tips. I am now typing in a cast (broke my wrist in the crash), so my thank you will be short.

I think the forks are 41mm. I think I will spare myself possible headache and get new fork tubes from Honda. The lower portion wouldn't bend, would it?

I have heard SuperHawk brakes are the same as 96-97 900RR brakes. I would love to swap over a complete 900RR front end, but I can't afford it. That's why I was asking about the front rim.

Would gauges from an RC51 fit? That would be cool!

Is it common for disc rotors to get bent in a crash?

Thanks again!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 05:44 PM

If you need both fork tubes AND a wheel, I say shop for an F3 complete front end. No way will it be more expensive than new OEM tubes alone. Yes, it is quite possible your rotors got tweaked, and if so replacement is the only answer. Didn't someone here recently have VTR forks for sale? The guy that put an USD front on his???
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:40 PM

If you manage to swap in a CBR front end, please keep us (me, anyway) informed on how it goes, price, etc!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:34 AM

I would be willing to bet your rotors are ok, depending on how you hit. Again, if you get these to me I can take them to school and check them for warpage. I will look into the forks/frontend for you. I would have to look at the lower forks to see if they are bent. they are cast so I would think they would be pretty sturdy, but who knows. Are those inverted forks? Call me when you have some time to chat about it and we can come up with a game plan.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:38 AM

You could install a 929/954 front end...though you will more than likely run into clearance issues with the stock fairing and instruments. It will be a straight bolt on, as the VTR and 929 share the same steering head bearings, and the stem is the same length. Basically you use everything, fork legs, triples, wheel & brakes. Gets rid of that soggy front end...I did this on my '96 VFR and so far am loving it

An RC51 instrument cluster could likely be made to work, but would require quite a bit of wiring/re-wiring and would take lots of time. Total cool factor there though. I was actually planning on doing this to my VFR (to clear the aforementioned 929 conversion), but was unsure whether or not the tach pulse from the V-twin ECU (which the tach reads to display RPM) was the same as the one put out by the V4 ECU. Of course doing this mod to a VTR would not have that minor problem...

Neither of these is particularly cheap, however...even with ebay and salvage yards sourcing the parts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help guys!

Kerry (Rand McNally), you really do need to step up your ERION racing CBR to a OHLINS front end, right? I would be glad to give your old USD's and triple clamps a new home!

I know new fork tubes would be wicked expensive, but I thought it might be a better idea than trying to get used stuff from a junk yard. I guess i could get the F3 forks and swap over the internal parts from my old forks, right? I would guess the springs, etc. would be different. Maybe VFR forks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode