I had a revelation!!!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

I had a revelation!!!!!!

I found the bike that I want that I skipped before cause the price tag, but that's all changed!!!!!!!! Worried about how fast it is? Sure the bike is fast, what bike isn't? But, this precious lil jewel has a vtec engine. The bike runs on only two cylinders till 7000 rpm. After that reaches 7000 rpm, the vtec kicks in and the other 2 cylinders start crankin. You guessed it!!! I am finally picking this bike for my ultimate no other bike needed bike for good!! I am finally gonna pick the Honda Interceptor!!!!!! it might be alot of money, but I will definately work for it. Some may say, just shut up and leave me alone!! Stop talking about something you will never get!!! Know what I say, I don't care what ya think!!! I am posting this to say, HAAA!!! Also, for all those kind hearted people who will wish me good luck on my first bike purchase .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 06:57 PM

UUUUMMMMM.................. I don't quite think that is how it works. I am no mechanic but it always runs on all 4 cylinders. VTEC stands for variable timing electronic control if I'm not mistaken. Which means the timing advances with the throttle, not all or nothing! Again I could be wrong but that is my understanding of it!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 07:01 PM

Re: I had a revelation!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kismet_710
The bike runs on only two cylinders till 7000 rpm. After that reaches 7000 rpm, the vtec kicks in and the other 2 cylinders start crankin.
Ahhhhh, so thats how the vtec works! I'm glad you cleared that up for me!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 09:19 PM

Krash954 has it right. All that really happens is timing advance based on throttle sensor input. Still very trick though.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 11:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
yup, and it's got a fuel injected carbruetor

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 11:43 PM
Retired Moderator

Actually it means that it runs with 2 valves per cyl until around 7000 and then th eother 2 com ein toi play and it runs on all 4 valves per cylinder.
The system works with hydraulic pressure and is quite effective.
I suppose that before you hand out the cash, you can buy am magazine with a test of the bike of your dreams to see what it is and what it isn't?
Did you know it also has linked brakes ?

Shame on you boys making fun of the old man's dream

Aris
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 02:57 AM

Re: I had a revelation!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kismet_710
But, this precious lil jewel has a vtec engine.
Ya, and it's (VTEC) not a bug, it's a feature! (where have I heard that before)
I've thought 'bout a VFR on a couple of occasions in the past, but they seem to be going backwards with the design, etc. Considered a previous version with Givi bags for a good all-purpose machine, but it just never panned out. I never really much cared for a V4 engine either, but it was gonna be used as a tool/workhorse, so ? Guess I'm just an inline-4 fan.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:24 AM

test mag

check out the Feb 2002 issue of Motorcyclist , there's a pretty good article on the Interceptor in it. it even gives a description on how the Vtec works. (pretty sure it runs on all 4 cylinders all the time, ) the vtec has been used for some time now in the cars honda puts out (not sure how long) so a lot of the bugs should be worked out. thats a plus.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:07 AM

Re: test mag

Quote:
Originally posted by reggbl
check out the Feb 2002 issue of Motorcyclist , there's a pretty good article on the Interceptor in it. it even gives a description on how the Vtec works. (pretty sure it runs on all 4 cylinders all the time, ) the vtec has been used for some time now in the cars honda puts out (not sure how long) so a lot of the bugs should be worked out. thats a plus.
VTEC changes the CAM timing.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:37 AM

Re: test mag

Quote:
Originally posted by reggbl
...vtec has been used for some time now in the cars honda puts out (not sure how long) so a lot of the bugs should be worked out. thats a plus.
Already read the article, and even the boyz at Motorcyclist (AKA Mitch “Honda” Boehm) couldn't bring themselves to fawn over the new VFR. 'Course, they probably could, but I'm thinking they've heard enough negative feedback that they're probably just going with the flow.

From what I hear (and had already decided for myself), VTEC on a motorcycle is pretty much useless. Like desmodromic valve trains (in this day of improved metallurgy/valve springs), VTEC (on the VFR) is just a marketing ploy, mainly for those enamored with technology simply for technology’s sake.

Don't even get me started on linked braking systems...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode