RC51 Suspension Tweeks - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

RC51 Suspension Tweeks

Hello,

I have heard some info about shimming the rear shock and also about lowering the front end.

I was wondering what the advantages of each mod and the combination of both would do to the ride and what I should expect.

I had a buddy do it to his RC51 a couple years ago and I remember his bike riding alot different then my stock set-up. He has since moved and now I have nothing to compare. At the time I was still getting used to riding a twin so studying the difference was not performed.

Can anyone provide some info?

Miguel

"I'm always having a good time!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:06 AM

Arrow

What these mods will do is help your turn-in. My friend just shimmed the shock on his Superhawk (that's kinda poetic-shimtheshockonaSuperhawk) and he likes the result. Lowering the front (raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps) will have a similar effect but may decrease ground clearance. Hopefully RCJohn will respond and help you more specifically.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responce. I look forward to more info when it comes.

Miguel

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 05:32 AM

Shimming the stock rear shock has minimal effect but it is an improvement. I had GMD Computrack in Atlanta set up thge chassis on my RC51 which involved a Penske shock and an adjustable shock link. Seat height is raised 25mm. The result is dramatic improvement. Moriwaki make a link but it is not as a big change as GMD mods. My RC51 is as nimble as a 600 without significantly effecting stability.

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 06:00 AM

RC51 suspension

You might be on the right path in raising the back of the RC51 instead of dropping the front. In several tests I have read on the 2002 RC51 they stated that the Honda engineers did not want to raise the fork legs, but instead raised or stiffened the rear, I do not know why it was done this way but they must have their reasons. I just picked up my 2002 RC51 on saturday and will be setting up the suspension in the coming days.

joe fenech
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 09:53 AM

With the RC you should raise the back first. The front will only go so far without removing the "stop rings". If you want to lower the front then do it at very small increments(ie, 2mm at a time) because it will have a big impact on stability.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Raising the back...

Hello,

Thanks for the info. I will try to raise the back up tomorrow to see how it works out.

As I look underneath I can see where the rear shock is mounted. Am I right to assume that by loosening the nut on top and then adding a shim to take up the slack would be appropriate? Is there a special shim or can I use a washer? Or maybe a cut washer so that I can just slide it in place without completely removing the shock.

Thanks,

Miguel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode