hurricane... bogging in first - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

hurricane... bogging in first

Hello everyone... this is my first bike. Its a 1990 cbr600 with 24K on it. Since i have gotten the bike, it seems to be really boggy in first gear.

I am guessing this isnt right. My friends 85 ninja doesnt seem to do it (his has been rebuilt though)

It it just old? do i need to clean the carb?

When i got the bike i put in new plugs, did oil/filter change.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:40 AM

My first bike was a Hurrycane 1000. I ended up replacing vent and fuel lines because they were so old. I went to the local auto store with my old stuff and had them match it up. You may also want to clean out your carbs. Mine were pretty dirty/ gummy. The bike had been sitting for about 5 years before I bought it and the bowls were nasty. When I had it apart I put in a new K/N filter (it was cheaper than the stock honda one ) and a jet kit. I kept the stock exhaust on it so I only put in new needle jets, left the mains alone. It really improved low speed torque. That bike actually had more power down low than my XX.

I don't think your bike being old has much to do with it as much as it needs to be maintaned. I had my 1000 dyno'd at a bike show before I did the cleaning/jet kit. It still pullled 124 horses, which I think is really impressive for 1988 technology.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 08:28 AM

I thought you said you didn't change your oil???

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

I was told it might be running on 3 cylinders.... any idea how much it would cost to rebuild the engine, or if a newer 600 engine can go in from a f2/f3?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 07:02 AM
Dad

Without being able to see or hear the bike, it's always hard to say, but... It's highly unlikely that it needs rebuilt. It's highly likely that the carbs are gunked up from sitting with gas in them. At that vintage with those miles, it must have done some sitting. Once they get plugged, they usually won't clean themselves out no matter how long you run it. The gunked up carbs will effect the lower RPM's especially up to about 3000 or so. Another possibility in the carbs would be sticking slides or a diaphragm with a leak which will show up higher, maybe all of the way to 7000 or so. I would clean the carbs and check over all of the obvious tune-up stuff first. Probably not your immediate problem but worth the money if you get it running right would be a valve adjustment unless you know that the previous owner did it. That would be preventative maintenance but getting to be pretty important at 24k if the previous owner didn't do it. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode