UK Fireblade - which model? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

UK Fireblade - which model?

Right, here goes.

I've had my latest NC30 for a year. The handling of the NC30 is simply awesome. I live four miles from work, yet the journey home often lasts an hour. Throwing the V4 around is extremely addictive.

A recent accident (van driver charged with careless driving) has meant that the soon-to-be-repaired NC30 will move on shortly, and a new addition will arrive. Anyways, considering you guys own a selection of the options below, which to go for?

1) An older CBR900 (~'93/94) and throw some serious kit at it.
2) A standard 1999 mint example from my local Honda dealer.
3) A 2000 CBR929 private purchase.

For the longer journeys that work may take me, and simply because I want one, I am set on a Fireblade. Thus, as much as I love CBR600's (every bike I've owned has been a Honda) - it looks like it'll be a 'blade this year.

With what I have in mind, they all work out at a similar cost. Yum, Ohlins front and back on the older model...... but the reliability of the 1999 model............ but the sheer sexiness of the 929!!!

I am not completely mad for power. Any of the above would be enough for me, handling and looks (shallow but honest) do matter though.

Give me your thoughts folks!

Cheers,

Gordon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

No offers of advice so far, folks?

I spent about an hour walking round a 1999 Fireblade at my local Honda dealer today. Tomorrow I am going for a short run on the bike to see if it's what I want.

It'll only be a half hour or so, but I'll be looking to determine if this is the one I'll buy. The Salesman says the price can be decided if I like it, so he's flexible.

Other than the handling and response of the bike, is there anything I should concentrate on with this model to determine previous abuse or neglect? Cosmetically, it looks in excellent condition!

Cheers,

Gordon.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:35 AM

I'd go for the 929. The improvement to the frame and ergonomics over the older models can't be compensated for with aftermarket parts. As well, the 929 being so incrediably light, flicking it around through traffice should be a blast. ( Hey, I'd have a 929 except for this problem of carring my wife for long straight distances.)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I agree. The 929 is a classy looking bike.

Indeed, the UK 2001 model has a very tidy red/blue/white paint scheme that is very nice indeed.

The problem is, the price of the newer machine is just that bit higher than what I would like to pay out (hence no 954 as an option). Also, insurance (which I suppose I have always maintained would never dictate my choice of bike) is ridiculous in the UK. The 1999 model is a bit more affordable though.

It will be interesting to see tomorrow how well the 1999 copes with my favourite main road, a country back road, and in town with traffic. I just hope the weather is good, it's rained the last three/four days.

Last edited by Sticky; 05-25-2002 at 05:12 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

It was meant to be!

I woke up and the sun was shining for the first time this week. Must have been a sign! The bike was a dream to ride, way more controllable than I thought it would be.

There was an underlying understanding that if I had abused the power, it'd let me know. That said, it did what I asked of it without a problem. I opened it up on a main road, no probs. Next I took it on a favourite road, much quicker yet totally safe.

Finally I headed to town to see how I would cope with the riding position in town. Coming straight off an NC30?!! It was sheer heaven!

New tyres, brake pads, Smartwater installed, and a drop of 200 in asking price. Deal done, deposit paid. I pay the balance next week, and get the bike then.

Woo-hoo!

Gordon.

Last edited by Sticky; 05-25-2002 at 09:45 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 06:38 PM

Way to go, congrats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode