Sportbike World banner

small but annoying F4i vibe

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  MMF4i 
#1 ·
There is something vibrating at about 5200 - 5500 rpm's on my F4i. Somewhere in the front , maybe just the plastic ( that's what it sounds like )but it is a little annoying . Any body have any ideas on what it is ?

#3 ·
thanks . I went to cbr world . net . It sounds like it must be the cct . I'll talk to my dealer about it . I hope Honda comes out with a permanent fix for this , it sounds like I'll just have to keep bringing it in to get fixed whenever it gets loud . It's not bad yet .

#7 ·
I went to my dealer , they pretty much said it was the cam chain tensioner but they downplayed it . They said Honda doesn't consider it a problem . It's just normal noise . It was explained to me that there is some kind of straight gear in there that is spring loaded , sometimes it just doesn't quite catch the next tooth , that's when it vibrates . They also said it will probably go away , just like it came on , as it wears in . They said it can't cause any damage . Also they would replace it if it becomes so loud that you can hear it while not under load . On my bike I only hear it when the bike is moving . Or I could schedule an appt for the Honda rep to hear it .

Just hearing them say that it can't cause damage has helped me to be at least a little more ok with it . The bike is just so damn awesome to not love it .

#8 ·
JEFF4i said:
. They also said it will probably go away , just like it came on , as it wears in . They said it can't cause any damage .

I hope there right about it not causing any damage:twofinger
And I have over 4500 miles on mine and it still makes that noise:crying: Sounds like loose parts too me!

I love my F4i even more now that I have put flames on the ram air ducts, and changed all those big turn signals!:D (Sorry no new pics:( ............yet!:D )New rpm gauge coming soon too!:D check out the web site at:www.gaugegraphics.com/index.htm
Also I found a place to change out the lights in the dash!!:D
its at:www.bluegauges.com/prod_f4i_gauges.htm

ENJOY!!!;) :p

#10 ·
cct

Hey Jeff , I've read numerous posts on this and I mean numerous! and I really don't think the cct noise will go away. I've never heard anyone say that theirs just went away. The dealer just "blew you off" and they know it! which would lead me to question anything they tell ya'! What a bunch of BS! Listen ,do yourself a favor and go to www.CBRWorld.net and read up and you'll learn a bunch bro. You'll see my post as well,I just changed mine at 13.5k , $67+tax , a few hours of my time and bingo! no more annoying noise! just like new. Don't know how long it will last but hey, I love my F4i!

#11 ·
Thanks MMF4I , I guess I should have known that was bs . I guess I will eventually schedule an appt. to get it fixed . I did check out that other forum , too . lots of info . That (cct ) is really the only major thing I don't like about the bike . Other things are just the clutch cable obstructing the odo view , that's minor and maybe fixed with zip-ties ( ? ) , and the seat , which I think I am getting used to , and the narrow mirrors .

#12 ·
Re:

If you have any mechanical abilities at all you can fix it yourself and know its done right. It's really not that difficult believe me. I've grown very distrustful of most of the "so-called" mechanics I've seen. And hey that is the only problem I've had with mine and the only one I've heard of. Not bad I'd say! Somewhere I remember seeing a post on how a fellow F4i rider took care of the clutch cable, no biggie. Good luck and let us know how things work out. Oh and try moving the mirrors forward, that seemed to help me.

#13 ·
I made an appt today with my mechanic to get the cct fixed . I'd rather have someone do it . It is under warrantee . I'm sure I could do it , but I don't have a lot of spare time now anyways .
I'll let you know how it goes .

I also have an Erion pipe on order , I will probably post a new thread when I get that and put it on if anyone is interested . ?

#14 ·
new cct and pipe

Well I got my bike back from the shop . They did replace the cct . I missed my bike , they had it about a week . The Honda service rep had to come and hear it first . But the bike is like new again .
I also put my Erion pipe on . Its nice , it seems so loud after getting used to how quiet the bike is stock . But it sounds real good . Best of all I'm sure it has more power in the range of about 5000 rpm's - 8 or 9000 rpm's . It really feels stronger there . The pipe looks nice , too . it's black powder coated aluminum .

#15 ·
Sweet!

Glad you got her fixed ok, I'm sure it sounds great. I ride w/ a few with Erion slip-ons, they sound good. Just got my manual for mine and I'm getting ready ( waiting for day off!) to do my own 16k service. I'm also going to replace the tires as I've just about worn the front tire (original!) and of course the back tire is nearly shot w/ 8k on that one (2nd one). Ride safe Jeff........MM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.