small but annoying F4i vibe - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

small but annoying F4i vibe

There is something vibrating at about 5200 - 5500 rpm's on my F4i. Somewhere in the front , maybe just the plastic ( that's what it sounds like )but it is a little annoying . Any body have any ideas on what it is ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 06:20 PM

I think it is a problem with the cam tensioner (sp?). There is quite a bit of discussion about this problem so use the search and check the forums. There are quite a few F4i's with the same prob. Mine does too.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks . I went to cbr world . net . It sounds like it must be the cct . I'll talk to my dealer about it . I hope Honda comes out with a permanent fix for this , it sounds like I'll just have to keep bringing it in to get fixed whenever it gets loud . It's not bad yet .

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 10:24 PM

My F4i does it too and so does my friends'
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 01:12 PM

Angry me too!

I also have that problem, I thought it was just me?
so what do you need to do to fix it???
not like I mind, I just put a louder pipe on!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 09:42 AM

wow! I thought it was just me too. I love this forum
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

I went to my dealer , they pretty much said it was the cam chain tensioner but they downplayed it . They said Honda doesn't consider it a problem . It's just normal noise . It was explained to me that there is some kind of straight gear in there that is spring loaded , sometimes it just doesn't quite catch the next tooth , that's when it vibrates . They also said it will probably go away , just like it came on , as it wears in . They said it can't cause any damage . Also they would replace it if it becomes so loud that you can hear it while not under load . On my bike I only hear it when the bike is moving . Or I could schedule an appt for the Honda rep to hear it .

Just hearing them say that it can't cause damage has helped me to be at least a little more ok with it . The bike is just so damn awesome to not love it .
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JEFF4i
. They also said it will probably go away , just like it came on , as it wears in . They said it can't cause any damage .

I hope there right about it not causing any damage
And I have over 4500 miles on mine and it still makes that noise Sounds like loose parts too me!

I love my F4i even more now that I have put flames on the ram air ducts, and changed all those big turn signals! (Sorry no new pics ............yet! )New rpm gauge coming soon too! check out the web site at:www.gaugegraphics.com/index.htm
Also I found a place to change out the lights in the dash!!
its at:www.bluegauges.com/prod_f4i_gauges.htm

ENJOY!!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I guess I can hear it while not under load , but only when the bike is not completely warmed up . I don't hear it as much when warm , and pretty much never when I'm riding hard .
Has anyone had this noise actually go away ?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 05:34 PM

cct

Hey Jeff , I've read numerous posts on this and I mean numerous! and I really don't think the cct noise will go away. I've never heard anyone say that theirs just went away. The dealer just "blew you off" and they know it! which would lead me to question anything they tell ya'! What a bunch of BS! Listen ,do yourself a favor and go to www.CBRWorld.net and read up and you'll learn a bunch bro. You'll see my post as well,I just changed mine at 13.5k , $67+tax , a few hours of my time and bingo! no more annoying noise! just like new. Don't know how long it will last but hey, I love my F4i!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode