F4I ..Ran out of gas, now it wont start - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Question F4I ..Ran out of gas, now it wont start

Ran out of gas on my 2001 f4i. I filled it up with gas, then tried to start it. cycled the pump afew times...nothing..cranked the gas a few times.... nothing.... hooked up a battery charger.....nothing... it cranks, but doesnt turn over. Is there a dafety switch on the comp? Did I hurt the pump? Foul the plugs? I know somebody else had to be as dumb as me and run out of gas. If anyone knows what it could be .. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 07:19 PM

well maybe this will help even thought I have an F4... My bike hasn't started since my accident in August, and I had everything apart to check the carbs out and make sure they weren't gummed up and put new gas in the tank and changed the fuel filter.. So I put everything back together and killed my battery trying to start it. I'm like what da hell??? So I took the fuel pump off and that was working.. Pulled the plugs out and they were fine and there was even spark.. Now I noticed that the fuel pump only comes on for 1/2 a second. I noticed air in the fuel filter and figured the pump wasn't running long enough to get fuel to the carbs.. I put a cap full of gas in each carb and waited a minute and then she turned over... Go figure..maybe it's the same for fuel injection.. Hope this helps..

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

that works for carbs, but this is Fuel injection. i said that to my buddy and he laughed at me saying this wasnt my old F2. Thanks for the suggestion

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 06:31 AM

a thought

Do you have the kill switch ON? Just something to look at. My Honda will turn over til the battery dies with the switch OFF, but it won't start.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 07:08 AM

Ok, the fuel pump is lubricated by gas in an F4i, running it dry will ruin it quickly. I would try to see if the fuel pump itself if working ( ie. pumping fuel ) and if not swap it and see if that does the trick.

-quikie
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 02:30 PM

Ummmm yeah.. I know it's fuel injected, but if the fuel system isn't primed your bike isn't going to run.. The fuel pump only runs 1/2 a second until the bike starts.. if it doesn't start the fuel system doesn't get primed.. Putting alittle gas in each runner will give it enough so your bike runs long enough to get fuel into it... Look to see if there is an air bubble in the fuel filter.. If there is then that may be the problem.. If not.. then take the fuel line off where it goes into the fuel rail and see if it's even pumping when you turn the key on.. If it does then the pump is ok.. Take a plug out and crank the engine to see if there is a spark.. Check all the fuses.. That's about all I can tell you other than seeing if it's still under warranty and taking it to the dealer..

The last suggestion sounds good, but I really don't think running out of gas one time is going to ruin a fuel pump. And to buy a 200.00 fuel pump to find out that isn't it and not being able to return it because you used it, to me isn't worth the risk...

Last edited by SilverF4; 05-17-2002 at 03:38 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 03:05 PM

What you are probably experiencing is called vapor lock It's not a big deal, just open the gas lid, turn the key on two or three times, and turn it over with the lid open. Let it run for a few then shut er off and close the lid. Another quick fix is clamping a wooden close pin on the fuel line I don't know why it works, but it dose. I never had this problem on my F4i, but my cuzin did on his F4, he used the cap open technique. Good luck.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 03:36 PM

Yeah I thought that too and left my cap up and that didn't work for me... Hence I poured alittle gas down each carb and a minute later she started...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverF4
Yeah I thought that too and left my cap up and that didn't work for me... Hence I poured alittle gas down each carb and a minute later she started...
Well it dose work off of gravity, but vaccume will have a lot to do with it also. The bike needs the vaccume that the running engine produces in order to pressurize the fuel lines. But, I don't know if pouring fuel down the Throttle body of a Fulie bike is too good of an idea . This could cause seriouse back fires. If opening the cap dose'nt work you amy want to try using compressed air to clear out the vent hoses. Pouring feul down an open T.B. should be the last resourt.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 05:09 PM

Well actually I probably wouldn't use a full cap.. Maybe take just soda cap full for all 4 runners... I didn't have any problem with back firing of any sorts.. I guess it was enough gas to get the engine running long enough to get gas through the lines. Or how about spraying ether instead of pouring gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode