Do K&N Filters Work??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Do K&N Filters Work???

Has anybody installed a K&N Filter in a 95 or 96 F3? How do you like it....Notice any difference? Has anybody put their bike on a dyno before and after the change? I am looking at the jet kit and K&N Filter together, but I will only be installing the filter for now (money is ALWAYS a factor). I have a Factory 2 degree advance and a Vance and Hines slip on right now. Currently, the bike is running rich (pops on rapid deceleration and the exhaust is black at the exit). This problem is not too terrible and I can live with it. It is possibly due to the elevation here in the Reno/Tahoe NV area (4500 to 7500 ft). Would installing this filter help lean the bike out a little (or a lot) by getting more air to the engine? Let it all hang out here - if these filters are junk, let me know. If they rip, let me know too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:48 PM

Don't expect much (anything)? The more sophisticated your intake system is from the factory, the less a K&N is gonna benefit your bike, if at all.
I have a K&N on my Concours, not because of any performance benefit (didn't notice any), but because my OEM filter split on both ends where the foam was glued together. Went with a K&N since it cost little/no more than the factory unit, and if the OEM split once, I see no reason to think it wouldn't do so again. The K&N is built much better than the OEM unit.
On my ZX-6R, with it's ram intake, I can't really see going to a K&N. The factory filter is a much simpler/less expensive design than the OEM on my Concours. I'd imagine the K&N would be much more $ than simply replacing the OEM foam element on the 6R. 'Course, if I had to replace the entire assembly (plastic pieces that sandwich the foam), maybe a K&N would make more financial sense, but I doubt it would work any better than the OEM unit.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 04:14 PM

"you'll feel the difference"

and if you dont, take it back and TRY and get your money back...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 07:03 AM

Some bikes will benefit, some wont.

But regardless, it will pay for itself on the second cleaning....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 04:25 PM

wait a minute!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaNut!
Some bikes will benefit, some wont.
is that like saying some gas weigh's 6.0 lbs/per lb. and some dont??
But regardless, it will pay for itself on the second cleaning....
can you be MORE specific?? like will EVERYONE "feel the difference", or just the guys that "feel" they feel the difference..which is so much bull dodo..

theres more than one dyno dOOd that has dispelled the fact these filters arnt for EVERYONE..AND if im not mistaken, k&n is now starting to admit this....in a very limited way..i wonder if their oil filters add this "feeling??

yawn..............................
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 10:11 PM

Question

I put a K&N on my 97' F3, and my buddy also has one on his 95'. When I put mine on I didn't notice any difference in power but it does seem to make the bike sound a liitle different. I also don't know how true this is but, I've also been told by several racers and techs that a K&N filter will actually richen up the bike due to the oil on the filter. I also had mine jetted, and you may want to check into it also but I used the high altitude kit. So I don't know if there is a true HP improvment from the filter but I just put one on my 929 last week. I figure it pays for itself just to be able to clean it. JM2C

Ride safe!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 10:30 PM

following the band here. got a K&N for my tiller b/c it needed to be replaced and the K&N was the seem price as the OEM. Like everyone else said, clean it once and it is worth it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 10:34 PM

seems like the k&ns are the hot tip..

for tillers and kawasaki's.....huh farm equipment...!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:33 PM

They sure work on cars. The make a hell of a difference. but who knows what they'll do in a bike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Update on K&N

I did end up getting the filter about 1 week ago. Since then I have ridden about 100 to 200 miles and here is what I ahve noticed;

1) All-out acceleration seems a bit healthier. No dramatic
increase (definitely no decrease)

2)Partial throttle acceleration (out of turn, etc.) is improved
noticeably.

3) More low-end grunt

4) NO MORE RUNNING RICH!! As I said int he original post,
I live in Reno, NV where the elevation is around 4500 ft.
I used to get a lot of popping from the exhaust when I
would let off of the gas...this no longer happens unless I
ride through Lake Tahoe (about 6500 to 8500 ft) or any
place with a similarly high elevation. NOTE:if you are
running lean as it is, this filter will not help, and may
actually hurt performance.

The fact that my bike no longer runs rich tells me that these filters DO allow more airflow than the stock filter (at least on the F3) as I just ahd the service done less than 200 miles ago and they installed a BRAND NEW stock filter while they had it apart. Even with the brand new stock filter, I had the popping and black buildup on the exhaust. As I said, the popping is gone, but I have yet to clean the exhaust, although I am sure the buildup problem is gone too just by the way the bike is running.

So there it is. If you are looking for more airflow (at least on the F3, and probably the earlier CBR models) I would go give the K&N a try. Be warned though...if you are at sea level or close to it, you may have a problem with leaning the bike out unless it is already running rich. Just my .02.....thanks to everyone who responded to my original post!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode