'95 CBR600F3 recent startup strangeness - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Question '95 CBR600F3 recent startup strangeness

Went to ride the bike to work this morning (garage last night was approx 50 degrees F) and had no luck getting it to run.

Started up fine with the choke lever down, began at low revs and moved reasonably quickly up past 3000...got helmet on, moved bike outside and moved the choke lever up about halfway..revs now at 2000-2500.

Gloves on, and I moved the choke lever all the way up and revs drop down to 1200, everything seems normal. Letting the bike continue to warm up and I notice the revs are slowly dropping(!?) down through 1000 then lower and lower... a small twist of the throttle and pop the revs to 4000 steady (thinking to help the warming process along)...goose it past 4000 and it revs real sluggish.

Let it throttle back to idle (correct at 1200 again) then revs continue the drop again down to nothing and engine quits! No amount of choke, words of encouragement, etc will get the bike to stay running. Into the garage, and take the car.

Any guesses as to what is going on here?

This is the 2nd time it has done this on a semi-chilly morning (when the temp is fine, no problems)... I pulled, cleaned and gapped all four plugs recently.

So far at work, I've been told to check my gas tank vent tube, air cleaner for blockages, battery, and that I need to have my carbs cleaned/tuned (had this done last spring for a pretty penny...would like to save that penny this year if possible).

Normally, a fine running machine...lately has me stumped and 4 wheelin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 10:27 PM

sounds like plugs to me. Are they gapped right? what about the gas you have used?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Like I said, I had cleaned and gapped the plugs recently... and it still gave me the balky start. I think it is a temperature issue, and my impatience to get riding!

The problem stemmed from not letting the bike warm up enough on cold mornings. Air temp was approx 38-40F this morning, so I waited until the temp needle moved before I left and it ran fine.

At the end of last week I had the bike in for a "safety check" and an oil/filter change....seems to be running fine so far. I did buy 4 new plugs, just in case.

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode