scrapin cans.. RC51 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 346
Post scrapin cans.. RC51

i have a question about exhausts on an RC 51..

i particularly like the angle the stocks cans come and if you get regular pipes to bolt on, they will come out at the same place.. has anyone had clearance problems wit this at the race track? i know alot of ppl like the high mounts.. but i like the way the exhaust sweeps up, like the r1, umm tlr, super hawk i think.. etc

anyhow, point being.. i i dont want to lose the passenger peg, incase i need to ride a cute girl.. j/k but im not one for 86'in pegs or has anyone heard of those high mount, like moriwakis and retaining the pegs? wit/out anyone getting burned..

if this was a pure track bike who cares, get high mounts..but i like how they angle up..
gixxerboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 05:12 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,474
I don't like high mounts myself. I have not had any ground clearance problems at all. Some of the faster guys have ground pegs but most that have rearsets have done fine as long as they don't drop the front to far working with the suspension.
RCjohn is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 346
thats another question i have, have you had to drop the front at all for any reason? shortens up the wheelbase a little right? whats that do? turn ins quicker? wheelie easier? harder?

thanks rcjohn, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to RC's how long have u had one? i really would like to make my final decision on twins and rc's, if its good, i want one, and i want one now, but cant seem to bring myself to buying a new bike.. if i cant, i think i'll settle for a 929, still great bike.. thanks..
gixxerboy is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 06:16 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,474
Quote:
Originally posted by Gixxerboy
thats another question i have, have you had to drop the front at all for any reason? shortens up the wheelbase a little right? whats that do? turn ins quicker? wheelie easier? harder?

thanks rcjohn, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to RC's how long have u had one? i really would like to make my final decision on twins and rc's, if its good, i want one, and i want one now, but cant seem to bring myself to buying a new bike.. if i cant, i think i'll settle for a 929, still great bike.. thanks..
My bike is VIN# 129 if that helps you with how long I've had it.

I was one of the first.

The guys/gals drop the front to help with turn in. First thing to do is raise the rear though. That requires either shims with OEM or aftermarket shock. If you just drop the front and go too far then you will create ground clearance problem. It improves turn-in by changing the geometry of the front(rake, trail, etc.) plus it effectively shifts a little more weight forward. That actually makes wheelying harder in theory but in reality it doesn't move weight much. It is a balancing act though, the more you drop the front or raise the back the more you lose in straight away stability. The RC is one of the most stable bikes out there under acceleration though so there is alot of room to play. Stability is where the added weight of the bike helps much like the Kawi ZX-7R. It is very stable too.

BTW, I wouldn't consider a 929 as settling. An R1 yeah but not a 929.
RCjohn is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn


My bike is VIN# 129 if that helps you with how long I've had it.

I was one of the first.

whoa..


Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn

BTW, I wouldn't consider a 929 as settling. An R1 yeah but not a 929.


and your right! i wouldnt either, but i mean finally settling on a choice.. hehe

and i actually think i want to raise the back of a bike a little too, im tall does that change anything? 6 ft to be exact, i weight 165..
gixxerboy is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 12:20 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,474
Quote:
Originally posted by Gixxerboy

whoa..




and your right! i wouldnt either, but i mean finally settling on a choice.. hehe

and i actually think i want to raise the back of a bike a little too, im tall does that change anything? 6 ft to be exact, i weight 165..
I'm 6ft tall too... mmm a little heavier though.

That will not impact raising the back.
RCjohn is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 346
!

good...i would like to think i can benefit a little from an increase in rake..


and a little heavier? 185? j/k
gixxerboy is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 06:42 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,474
I only weighed 185lbs when I got married.
RCjohn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome