Tank removal Honda F4i - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Cool Tank removal Honda F4i

Just trying to save a few bucks by replacing the air filter (yes K&N, of course) myself...just one problem...how do I remove the gas tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 05:05 PM

Thumbs up

It is best to remove the tank when empty but if not, be careful.
first remove your seat, 2 bolts on the under side you have to lift up the rear corner to see them. next remove the bolt that is directly behind the tank also atttached to forward seat mount.
next there are two bolts behind the steering head that need to be removed. once these are removed I use a short piece of 2x4 or 4x4 to hold up the rear of the tank. I do this so I can use both hands to get to the fuel lines there are 2 I believe and one vent tube they are attached with pinch clamps. remove these and put a rag over the holes of the main fuel lines so as not do drip fuel on your bike. you should be able to lift the tank off now. the breather is just held on with machine screws and is pretty self explanatory. Just out of curiosity if your going to a k&n filter the stock honda does just as good if not better.
if any one can add to this procedure please do I am always willing to learn easier ways to fix my bike too.

Mclaren Racing
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks silver, a friend of mine and I got it off and changed it. As for the diffference; I don't know if the Hp is any better but I sure as hell got a lot better throttle response!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by silverado_327
once these are removed I use a short piece of 2x4 or 4x4 to hold up the rear of the tank. I do this so I can use both hands to get to the fuel lines there are 2 I believe and one vent tube they are attached with pinch clamps. remove these and put a rag over the holes of the main fuel lines so as not do drip fuel on your bike. you should be able to lift the tank off now. the breather is just held on with machine screws and is pretty self explanatory. Just out of curiosity if your going to a k&n filter the stock honda does just as good if not better.
if any one can add to this procedure please do I am always willing to learn easier ways to fix my bike too.
I just replaced my Filter. You dont have to move the fuel lines or anything like that. Get a small screwdriver and you can work under the tank while the wood piece is holding it. Dont forget that there are screws on the bottom of the intake so you might have to get a longer piece of wood. Anyway have fun and let us know how you do.

Your not speeding until you get caught.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 06:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to monkeyassf4i
easiest method........

pull the bike under a beam in the garage or car-port. rig a come-along or ratcheting tie down over the tank and make a harness looped around the front and the back of the tank after removing the four bolts (two at seat and two at steering head). gently and slowly start cranking tank up watching that fuel and vent lines do not stretch completely straight or bind on anything. with the tank suspended 6-9 inches above airbox and frame remove all the screws (don't forget the bugger at the bottom of the hole in the center of the airbox!), lift up slightly, remove old and slide in the new (be sure to note k&n's handy little 'this side up' note for 'tards!). CALIFORNIANS: while you're at it, follow the line at the back of your charcoal cannister to the tank... then cut it! remove the cannister and the mounting bracket... BE SURE to re-mount the vacuum solenoid back in place (a small piece of steel strapping works nicely compared to the huge bracket that mounts the cannister and the solenoid!), attach small, curved hose to vac solenoid facing rearward that can vent vacuum when solenoid opens. take other fuel tank vent line(s) and run them in front of left rearset and peg with coolant vent, etc........ (knocks off a couple pounds and a cancerous looking growth that swings like an udder under the bike on california models!)

geoff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:09 PM

How exactly do you get the main fuel line unattached from the bottom of the gas tank? The line seems to be attached with a circular screw whose bit I don't recognize.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 08:13 AM

Start by removing your seat...

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Wow, that is brilliant. Thanks for you help!!!

The problem is the fuel line is still bolted solid into the tank. The other end has a bolt on it that is even tighter. I can't get it off and I don't want to force it.
Last year when I painted the tank I just ended up leaving the tank on and just taping newspaper to the endges which extended over the rest of the bike. Basically I just painted it while still attached to the bike.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to HotHONDACBRCali
Cool K&N Filter Advice & Tank Removal....

First off, I can't Believe Anyone Didn't post a Comment about the K & N Filter,
You do NOT have to REPLACE it, K & Ns are LIFETIME Filters, all you do is
"RECHARGE" it( REmove, Clean, Dry & Put Oil coating on it, then Put back in) Any Motorcycle shop/Dealer has the "RECHARGE" KIT!!!! I Think around $12 to $18, or so!! 2nd, the Tank removal should be done with (2) people, but CAN be done solo, the other posts give the basic explanation, I've done it already a couple-o-times, with the help of a friend. I did NOT take it all the way off either, just lifted, put a brace to hold it up, then worked under it, about 6 to 8 screws holding the air box cover on! there is a SHOP Manual online that Can be purchased for Under $9.00, I'll try and send the Linkn you can download the entire manual, find the page(s) ya need, print em out, go work on your CBR, Easy!! As soon as I find the Info I'll post to ya, Good luck!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to HotHONDACBRCali
Hey Dudes, here's the LINK to the Site with Your Shop Manual(s): www.tradebit.com
Sorry it took a while to send this, I haven't been on in a couple-o-weeks, but now I'm back, Hope this helps Everyone I Just downloaded the file for my `03 600F4i, it's a MUST HAVE!!! Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode