Tweaking a 1992 ZX-7 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Being a stundent i can't just go out and buy a brand new bike so my 91 zx-7 will have to do until i'm done Univeristy. I want to make the most out of my bike and since you guys are the pros i wouldn't mind some input. I am thinking of putting on a full Hindle exhasust, jet kit, ignition advancer, steel braided brake lines, better brake pads, and maybe go up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. Hopefully i'm not putting money into a dead horse, i don't know how many more HP i can squeeze out of the beast but i hope i can get maybe 10.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what aftermarket parts to use, how to tune it etc...

Thanks,
Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 10:14 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to GreenNinja
Sounds like you are on the right track. A 91 or 92 ZX7 is a very solid bike. Sure its heavy and "old" but who cares. Its a classic and still a very good bike.

But i would be surprised if you could squeeze 10HP more out of it. I believe the stock HP for that bike is somewhere around 90-95HP maybe 100 tops. I wouldnt think you could get it up over 105hp. But im not an expert on ZX7's so if anyone else has better info id be interested to know also.

Good Luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 05:31 PM
Resident Smartass

I'm no ZX7 expert either, but a full system and rejet should be worth AT LEAST 10 HP on that bike vs. stock. It's a good bike and definetly worth investing in upgrades. The only questionable one is the advancer- if it's adjustable and you're using a dyno to tune it go for it. Otherwise, you're rolling the dice- it could actually make things worse.

Suck mean people!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Well, I'm a little confused as to what the ignition advancer does but as long as i get an adjustable model couldn't i just play around with the different settings and try to find the best power ? I heard that advancers don't increase horsepower much, they just improve throttle response over the rev range, am I correct ?

All i can hope for is that all the money i put in makes a difference, I don't want to sit there with $1000+ put into the bike and say, "gee, i think it feels a bit faster"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Flogger
Well, I'm a little confused as to what the ignition advancer does but as long as i get an adjustable model couldn't i just play around with the different settings and try to find the best power ? I heard that advancers don't increase horsepower much, they just improve throttle response over the rev range, am I correct ?
I don't know a darn thing about ZX-7s but advancing the ignition in a car will actually make more horsepower if done right. The drawback, and the reason that it doesn't come from the factory with the ignition more advanced, is that it makes your engine more prone to detonation. If you advance the timing you usually will need to run super unleaded and make sure the carbs are not running lean. Detonation is a bad thing!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 08:32 AM
Banned

If you are looking at PEAK horsepower, you may not gain anything with the ignition advancer. Or you might gain 1 maybe 2 HP. But throttle response should definately improve, if not just slightly. And larger HP gains through the midrange are very common with an advancer.

Factory Pro ZX7 Products page (1996-newer)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 04:04 PM

I think your money would be best spent on the full exhaust, jet kit, dyno tune and better brake pads. The stainless lines and ignition advancer only offer small differences. The most dyno horse power you'll see from your bike is 110-115, and thats with R-spec cams and absolutly every thing done short of a big-bore kit or high comp. pistons. I think the gear change would be a mistake as your '92 has lots(for a 750)of torque on the bottom and middle ranges. Gearing is usually done to compensate for poor midrange. I have stock gearing on my zx7 and can easily pull the front wheel up off the line. See the archieves at www.evilracing.com for more info.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

That doesn't sound good, my bike doesn't have R spec cams so how much power can i expect to get out of it ? is it even worth it putting pipe and jet kit on it without the R cams ? If thats the case i might as well sell the bike and get something newer 'cause its not worth putting that much money into a half dead horse...

My bike is fairly fast but not punchy, i cant get the front wheel up because it doesn't have enough "hit" or throttle respone when i slam shut then slam open the throttle. It will not wheelie no matter what i do. That is why i wanted to gear it down a bit. maybe the pipe and jet will give it a little more punch.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Flogger
My bike is fairly fast but not punchy, i cant get the front wheel up because it doesn't have enough "hit" or throttle respone when i slam shut then slam open the throttle. It will not wheelie no matter what i do. That is why i wanted to gear it down a bit. maybe the pipe and jet will give it a little more punch.
Get the bike properly tuned by a GOOD shop.. Unless you are 350lbs you should easily be able to loft the bike on command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode