Wider Wheels and Tires for a Ninja 250??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Question

Would it improve my cornering capabilities to get wider tires and wheels? Would it improve braking? I currently have a 2001 Ninja 250r. If the wheels and tires would help. Which brand should I get, also I am looking to upgrade my brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 09:38 PM

John, usually wide wheels and tires are meant to carry heavier bikes at higher speeds. The size is about right, but if you want to improve the cornering, softer tires, combined with spring spacers in the forks and the next heavier grade fork oil would probably get you what you want, and a lot less expensively.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 12:34 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to GreenNinja
Exclamation

if u are looking for "flickability", keep the OEM sized tires. If you are looking for traction in turns go a bit wider. (the bike will be "heavier" feeling though) But remember, the 250R Ninja has been around for quite a long time and the Kawi engineers have pretty much dialed that bike in. Same as the 500R Ninja (EX500) they have it where it belongs.

Now if you are just dead set on upgrades, look into the availability of a Race-Tech Gold Valve kit, progressive springs and a Fox Shock for the rear.

You would be very happy with the results....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i think everyone is dead-on. but i know if you wanna just throw on a set of rims like with a car, here's what involved with a bike like yours.

you have a whole series of problems with trying to get a set of 17" rims on a ninja 250 (which is the only size rims you'd wanna get). i doubt the 250 swingarm will except it. i also doubt the forks will either. i seriously doubt you'll be able to keep the fender or find a 17" wheel that will except the smaller rotors. the slow steering problems can be over come with ride height and/or raising the forks in the triples.

so what do you need?? up front, you'll need triples, forks, a wheel, tire, brake rotors, master cylinder, lines, clutch lever, brake lever, clipons, switch gear, etc. the plus side is your bike doesn't need anything too elaborate. you can likely get a machinist to assist you with getting an fzr600 or maybe an f2 front-end on it. of course, you'll need to race-tech the whole thing as those bikes are a lot heavier.

out back, ninja 500 swingarm and 17" rear should work. of course you'll likely have to add some ride height (which will likely require you to buy an aftermarket shock, but maybe dog bones can do it).

end result--you'll be spending at least $1500 dollars to replace perfectly good parts with used shit off of an old wrecked bike.

i'd suggest keeping what you have and realizing that even though 17's have all kinds of super sticky tires available, most people can only ride to the limit of the 16's.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FZR400Tony; 03-25-2001 at 07:54 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

So what you are trying to say is that it is a waste of money, and that I should get a new bike. If I get a ZX 9r, I have a feeling I would only hunger for a ZX 12r within a month or so. Or would I be satisfied with a 9r. Someone help me make up my mind. What do I Do???? DOH
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 06:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to riceXrider
johhny D...

do you want a high performance bike or a high-performance rider???
get thee to a track/skool....or both.....
and you'll outcorner any avg R1 rider anyday with ur 250....
ive seen a dual-sport(tiger) out corner a zx9 on a track.......

i feeL the need.....the need for speED.....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Well the way I see it. I do not go out on the street. Mostly freeway cruising and hitting up traffic. Which would be the recommended bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:15 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to GreenNinja
Lightbulb

Unless you are simply dead set on trying to break the sound barrier for no other reason than to just see it on the speedo, a ZX6R is all the street-sportbike anyone would ever need. (or if you are a Yammy guy, an R6).

If you are currently riding a Ninja 250 and have visions of the big-boy life on a ZX12R and how cool itd be, i think there is something missing that may not have anything to do with sportbikes.

No, that wasnt aimed at you, but is just a generalization of a big problem alot of riders have...

(so please dont take offense.. just think about it..)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:36 PM

Johnny, if you just want the open road, go with the ZX6. It's comfortable, more than fast enough, and it's a next good performance step from the 250. I have 2 zx12's but before them I rode a ZX11 for almost 8 years. I think it's better to become intimately familiar with your bike over a period of years, and work continously on improving your braking & cornering skills than to buy a big bike with the expectation that all the extra power will make you a better rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode