Kawi ZX6R???? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to FromTheDirt
Question

What kinda bikes are they as far as comfort and handling? What problems do they have? How is insurance(I'm 18)? What should I look for when buying used? What year is the best? I was lookin at a 98' or 99'.Do they hold there value well? Any info greatly appreciated.Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
At 18, I would be surprised if you could get insurance for under $2000 per year on a '98 or '99 ZX-6R. As for the bike, I haven't ridden one but have heard alot of good stuff about them and they do feel relatively comfortable to sit on. I know for a fact that they are quite capable of holding their own in the twisties.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 03:10 PM

I have a '99 ZX-6R I think it's great... smooth and comfortable, and it's pretty fast! In 6,000 miles, I have had NO problems on mine at all...
Here's 160 (speedo reading ) on mine...

Click here for the vid!!

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 05:20 PM

Cool Slow down there son

While the ZX6Rs are wonderful bikes, I would not recommend one to an 18-year-old rider, especially if you are new to motorcycles.

I rode a ZX6R at Keith Code's school at the Streets of Willow Springs last fall. What the magazines say about them are true. Smoothest engine of all the 600s, comfortable ergos (similar to my much larger Triumph Sprint RS), and wonderful handling. The magazine's say they can get a bit loose at the limit, but I'm not fast enough to notice.

As great as the bikes are, you have to understand they are capable of running the quarter mile in the low 11s with even a novice rider at the controls, and can reach speeds in excess of 150 mph. This is why they are so expensive for younger riders to insure. The adrenaline rush is intoxicating, and it's easy to get in over your head on the street. Things happen quickly at 100 mph, and unless you have absolute control over the bike you can get hurt or killed in a situation a more experience rider could handle with no problem.

So what does a young rider do? Start out on a smaller bike. Even the Kawasaki 500 Ninja is capable of outrunning most cars, and they're quite a bit less expensive to insure. They don't go through tires as fast either.

Scale back your plans a bit. Spend less money on a smaller bike, and spend the savings on proper gear and some riding schools. You'll have a lot more fun and live longer. Then, in two or three years, you can move up to a 600 when you're ready.

I started out on a Kawasaki KZ900 because I just had to have the fastest bike on the planet. Luckily (in hindsight) it was stolen before I killed myself on it. I replaced it with a Honda CB400F, and had a great time learning to ride properly on something that matched my skills.

Even now, after 25 years of street riding and with multiple schools and track days behind me, I see no need for anything faster than a 600 for my track toy. The CBR600F3 in my sig line is my dedicated track bike. The 250 Ninja is what I bought for my son and my wife to learn on. When they're ready I'll let them on the F3, but that won't be this year.

Learning to ride properly is more fun than getting in over your head. I don't mean to offend, but I've seen what can happen when a new riders jumps on too much bike. This is too important an issue to gloss over. Start on a small bike. Your wallet, and your loved ones, will appreciate it.

"In my opinion, there's nothing in this world/
Beats a '52 Vincent, and a red headed girl."
Richard Thompson
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to FromTheDirt
Photobug<------

Thanx for the imput. But I rode dirt for 11yrs and have spent prolly 50hrs on my friends 97' Kawi 750. So I do have experiance. And this bike is just for fun I'm not commuting. I understand where you comin from but I'm pretty sure I have the self-control not to get my self into trouble. And for going really fast.If I wanna do that I'll take my 70'Chevelle SS with a Bored Out 454 and NOS and all the goddies you could ever want out for a spin. It's just that a lot of my friends have bike and they have some much fun I just wanna be able to join them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 06:30 PM

Thumbs up

Eleven years dirt biking experience will help, a lot. The best ZX6Rs are, of course, the newest ones. Kawasaki extensively changed the bike in 2000. This doesn't mean the older ones are useless, just that the new ones make 'em seem a bit porky in side-by-side riding. Get the newest one you can afford, and try to find one in excellent shape with complete maintenance records.

Then go have fun. They're great bikes.

"In my opinion, there's nothing in this world/
Beats a '52 Vincent, and a red headed girl."
Richard Thompson
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 08:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
if i was 18, i'd look for a 95 or 96. they are sweet bikes. and they sell cheap enough that you should be able to pay cash for or get a personal loan for and not have the big insurance nightmare.

there are differences between street and dirt, even mcgrath mentioned it when he took an r6 out to willow springs.

when i was 19, i looked at a new gsxr750. they cost like 6500. the insurance would've been 3600/yr. my god, that was 9 years ago. enough of my getting old problems.

boy, i'd love to be your insurance agent, 70 bb chevelle, superbike...

i remember when i was 16 i got a quote of $1800/year for liability on my 71 nova and that was a sb (307, two speed powerglide, big hole in the o-zone layer behind it, the days). the car was a project i paid $200 for. hey, i sold it for $300!!!!

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 07:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rob Nance Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Nance
If you can get your insurrance on with your parents and they have had the same insurrance company for a substantial time, and you get liability, you might be able to do OK. I also reccomend a mid 90s, say 95-97 bike whatever it is. Still plenty of power, and bikes depreciate so much that you can get one from that era in good shape for chump change.

Rob Nance
Austin, TX
1997 Suzuki GSX-R 750
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 10:06 PM

I will give you that your car is prolly quick. But there is a big difference of riding through traffic at 100mph in a car and on a bike. Not saying don't get one, just saying dont confuse the 2, they are very different monsters.

www.ftb-racing.com
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 10:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to FunkeeMunkee
ZX-6R's ROCK...I'm glad I chose not to start off with one for my first...instead I chose a 250R. The magazines really don't give the 6R the credit it deserves. In fact look for prices to fall. I'm 19 years old, and insurance on my 6R is $35.00/month full coverage. I have worked hard to keep good rates, no speeding tickets, no accidents. Start on a 250R...they are just as fast as a car if not faster.

"Fear the fookin' Munkee"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode