87 ninja zx750 replacement engine?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

87 ninja zx750 replacement engine??

I have an 87 zx 750 that has been made into a drag bike. I blew up the motor last weekend and i was wondering if that is the only motor that will fit into the frame(still the stock mounts) or if i could use a 600...newer 750...etc. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 AM

You're going to have to do some serious research and measuring to make 100% sure that anything else other than a Ninja 750R motor will fit using the stock mounts. But here is what I do know for certain off the top of my head:

Your Ninja 750R was made for model years 1987-1990- obviously any of those will be a straight fit. I would think that it wouldn't be too hard and very cheap to find one of those.

Kawasaki introduced the ZX-7R in 1989. The ZX-7R engine was heavily based off of the Ninja 750R motor. So, the cases should be the same width. While the engine might fit dimensionally, the problem is that the 7R engine was wrapped up in an aluminum perimeter frame. Your 750R has a traditional steel downtube frame. The motor mounts are surely entirely different. Maybe with some fabrication, you could get a 1989-1992 ZX-7R engine in there. Another potential problem with this swap would be the fact that the ZX-7R engine, and almost any sportbike engine from 1990 on up, uses downdraft carbuerators instead of the sidedraft carbs on your 750R. This creates a major packaging problem in terms of airbox and gas tank location. (perhaps not such a big deal for a dragbike only application)

Kawasaki substantially improved the ZX-7R in 1993. I am not sure if the engine in the 93 on up bikes have a completely redesigned motor vs. the 89-92 bikes or not. I suspect not.

The 1994-1997 ZX-9R engine is based on the 1993 ZX-7R engine. As I understand it, the cases are the same. So, if you can fit a 1993+ ZX-7R engine, you should be able to fit a 94-97 ZX-9R motor as well.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info that was alot of good info to get me started.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok bought a new motor but only had 1st gear does anyone else have an answer to this?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM

So, you purchased a replacement engine, but it had a blown transmission?

First thing I'd do is to try and get a refund.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode